[3830] TxQP N5DO SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TxQP N5DO SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:13:19 -0700
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: N5DO
Operator(s): N5DO
Station: N5DO

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Brewster
Operating Time (hrs): 18
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:   58
   40:  206
   20:  345
   15:   14
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  623     0       0  Mults = 137  Total Score = 258,553

Club: Big Bend ARC

Comments:

Another great Texas QSO Party.  Of course, the mobiles make this the great time
it is and I want to thank them.  The other thing that makes this so much fun is
that there are so many counties for them to operate from -- 254 in all.  N2CU
said "Well the counties must be small or the mobiles drove really fast because
every time I would sweep the band they'd be in a new county."  To respond, I
would say it is a little of each.  Some of the counties are small, but my
county (Brewster) is the largest in Texas -- larger than three states, it is
almost as big as Connecticut and Rhode Island combined.  But only 9,000 people
live in the whole county.  Recognizing the vast open spaces, the Texas
legislature has passed an 80 mph speed limit on interstates in west Texas --
and 75 mph on the state highways.  What Texas really has is a great system of
roads -- even the little FM's (farm-to-market roads)are great roads.  I think
with a lot of work the mobile operators figure out routes that allow them to
hit the most counties in the least amount of time.  The names of the counties
excite me -- Deaf Smith, Comanche, Red River, Val Verde are among many which
raise my imagination.  (How did a county get the name "Deaf Smith?")

I had fun, but will probably not do CW Only next year.  I spent much of the
contest being a CW beacon, usually doing "dualing CQs" (or is it "dueling
CQs?), mostly between 40 and 20.  I could hear and work most Texas mobiles on
40M, but very few on 20M.  Most of Sunday 15M was open and I tried the dualing
CQs on 20 and 15, and even tried to move some people from 20 to 15, but only
had limited success on 15.

I wondered what had happened to Chuck, NO5W on Sunday.  He was such a big
presence on Saturday that he was obviously not on the air on Sunday.  I feared
the worst (an illness or accident or something), so I was glad to see in
NC4KW's remarks that Chuck blew up his finals and had no rig on Sunday.

Thanks to everyone for all the fun.