[3830] TxQP W0BH Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w0bh@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] TxQP W0BH Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 21:23:06 -0700
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 16
Radios: SO2R

  160:    0      0      0
   80:   15      0      0
   40:   28    421      0
   20:    0      4      0
   15:    0      0      0
   10:    0      0      0
    6:    0      0      0
    2:    0      0      0
  UHF:    0      0      0
----------------------------
Total:   43    425      0  Mults = 172  Total Score = 182,388

Club:

Comments:

Total score includes 14000 Bonus points.

What a GREAT QP! Usually I spend lots of time chasing mobiles (mostly on CW),
but early on I heard so many signals out of Texas on SSB that I decided to try
sitting on one frequency instead and see if they would find me. A huge thanks
to those who did and the 172 mults shows how successful the rovers were.
Conditions on 40m were solid for almost the entire contest. By the end of the
contest, lots of now familiar calls and new friends in the log.

I just prototyped an SO2R setup and really wanted to test it out during the
TXQP. Unfortunately, my two 40m antennas were too close together, so CQing on
40SSB made 40CW difficult to copy and vice versa. Not wanting to miss the
mobiles who knew where to find me, I stayed on SSB for the most part. 80m CW
was quite noisy and not very active from KS whenever I checked. No one answered
my 80m SSB CQs except one fine gentleman who told me contesting wasn't allowed
on 80m. Checking the posts, it appears he was right. The best use I got out of
SO2R was the enjoyment of listening to N4PN go to town on 20m. Very FB, Paul!

Several funny things happened during the QP and I'll mention one. The county
name has been changed to protect the innocent. A station was slowly CQing so I
jumped in for the Q and received 599 VACK. Not having previously memorized all
254 counties and their abbreviations (poor prep on my part, of course), I typed
in the county on my computer and it didn't like it.  AGN PSE .. 599 VACK BK.
PSE SPELL CTY (long pause) ??? PSE SPELL CTY (long pause) ??? PSE SPELL CTY ..
(very slowly for my benefit) V A C K S O N . Hats off to our anonymous friend
for a great (and successful) CW Q. Here's to many more!

The mobiles did a terrific job in sometimes nasty conditions on Saturday. Also
"recruited" some mobiles who checked in and a special thanks to KA5BQG who I
caught driving home from work and who made a point to check back in to give me
COCH, HOCK, TERY, and YOAK.

Here's a listing of mobiles and counties :

26 KB5U (also wins the loudest mobile award hands down)
24 K5NA
18 W5WB
14 N5ET, N5UV
12 KY5S
10 N5BA
7  WD5ABC, WW5X, K5OLE
6  KB5KYJ, KF5VM
5  NA4M, KC5QBC, KB6OJE
4  KA5BQG, K5P, KE5LQ
3  N5DDS, N5AOK, KD5SHM, WD5BDX, NA5F, NX5M, K5WH
2  K5N, AD5TD, N5JGX, KI5KR, W5UMT, W5TX, ND5CH

Again, thanks to all who participated and to the Texas QSO Party Committee for
making it all happen (except for 20m propagation to KS!).

73, Bob, w0bh