[3830] CQ WW RTTY AB5K SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, terry@ab5k.net
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY AB5K SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:00:53 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: AB5K
Operator(s): AB5K
Station: AB5K

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Bee Cave, TX
Operating Time (hrs): 37.5
Radios: SO2R

   80:  172   207       44      11    10
   40:  602  1021       53      47    27
   20:  982  1735       56      81    31
   15:  280   585       37      53    23
   10:   18    34        7       7     7
Total: 2054  3582      197     199    98  Total Score = 1,769,508

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Propagation for the contest was way down from this location.  There were times
on 20 meters where it seemed like the final hop into Europe was via sporadic
"E".  I would work a narrow pocket of Europeans with good rates and would
quickly work it out.  Later that pocket might slide a few hundred miles away
with another brief peak in rate.

Fifteen meters was also way down to Europe.  Fifteen meters to the Pacific
seemed a bit better.

For the contest, I built up a three stack of 20 meter OWA antennas and mounted
them on a crankup tower at heights of 106, 54 and 24 feet.  These antennas are
6 elements on a 48 foot boom.  The top two OWA antennas are rotatable.  I also
added a 80 meter rotatable dipole on top of the tower at 120 feet.  The new
antennas played very well.

The results were that the QSO totals were about 50 Q's above last year but the
total score was off by 500K.

I went to bed early Saturday night at 11:00 AM because 40 and 80 were just not
productive due to local thunderstorms.  There was also some power line noise
that effected reception on all bands.

Despite the off propagation, a great contest!  Thanks to everyone for the Q's.

73

Terry - AB5K