[3830] CaQP W8MJ SOFixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w8mj@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] CaQP W8MJ SOFixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 10:17:11 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: W8MJ
Operator(s): W8MJ
Station: W8MJ

Class: SOFixed LP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:    3
   80:   60      9
   40:   89     79
   20:  122    162
   15:   97    249
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Going into this years CQP I was a little more focus compared to last year.
Knowing where we are at with the sun spot cycle I figured the contest from my
location would be mostly centered on 20, 40, and 80.  Prior to the contest
weekend I had just repaired my 2 element 40 meter Telerex beam.  It is amazing
how contesting can motivate you to get the important things done before the
season starts, because I knew I would need the 40 meter beam to be effective
with CQP.

A half hour before the contest started I was checking out 15 meters and was
pleasantly suprised with how well the band was open to CA.  Signals were very
good, and stations loud.  So like every one else I am sure, I started out on
15.  As usual the first few hours were pretty productive.  A lot of S&P and
then to settle into cqing on SSB while working CW inbetween on the 2nd radio.
That was pretty much the mode of operation the entire weekend.  But I did seem
to work the 2nd radion extensively, due to the lack of responses on my CQ's.  I
also did a lot of S&P with the main radio as well. I also knew I had to focus
more on 40, and 80 given the sun spot cycle, and feel that I did much better on
those bands compared to previous years.  Not much on 160, managed to work 3
stations, but then given the time of year and only a 100 watts into a shunt fed
tower I really wasn't expecting a whole lot.  The weekend played out pretty much
as to what I expected.....long and grueling, however, the results were much
better then last year.

Out of all the years operating CQP I cannot remember working K6AQL/M so much.
I have always worked him a few times in the past in each CQP, but this year was
certainly and exceptional one where I worked him a lot.  He always had a very
good signal when I did.

Did not get the sweep of the counties until Sunday.  Last one needed was San
Benito.  KA6MAL heard my cq for San Benito on 20 meters and graciously gave me
a call.  Thanks for the sweep.  It is always some what gratifying to gained
that elusive sweep when you spend so much time in the chair operating.  It
seems to culminate a weekend of contesting.

I thought the counties were pretty well represented in all, however, thought
the activity was down somewhat compared to prior years.  I am sure the sun spot
cycle is a contributing factor for it.

All in all another good CQP year.  Great job by the NCCC.

Unique Calls    374

Main Radio Q's  566

2nd Radio  Q's  304

Until the next one..... 73's Ken W8MJ