[3830] CaQP N6OO SOFixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6oo@charter.net
Subject: [3830] CaQP N6OO SOFixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 13:23:39 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: N6OO
Operator(s): N6OO
Station: N6OO

Class: SOFixed LP
QTH: ALta Loma, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 11

  160:
   80:
   40:  117      4
   20:  117    104
   15:   37     16
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was my first California QSO Party. Last year, I made a couple of calls but
quickly found that using my ex-K1USC call sign was oftentimes confusing on the
other end.  This time around, N6OO was QRV & calling CQ for much of my
operating time. Lots of fun. I worked just about 11 hours here and there over
the weekend, usually in the mornings as I took my lovely XYL out on Saturday
evening (date night with the wife) & again on Sunday afternoon.

What time I was on, it was pretty good fun. Calling CQ, I enjoyed some steady
runs on 20M both SSB & CW. It was valuable experience for me, as Iâ??ve never
had that many other stations coming back to me before.  My listening skills
were enhanced as I struggled to catch many weak stations down in the noise. I
figured that is usually how I sound in a contest so I was glad to try and work
everyone nice enough to respond to my CQâ??ing.  This really is a good contest
for â??regular Opsâ?? with â??regular stationsâ?? to get some good operating
experience as there is an abundance of stations who are trying to work
â??little olâ?? meâ?? here in Southern California.

My basic â??little pistolâ?? station (100Watts & a wire) worked without a hitch
the entire time. I did notice the 857D got warm & itâ??s internal fan turned on
after a long period of calling CQ & working a good CW run. (thatâ??s the first
time I heard that fan noise! So, I separated the front panel of the radio to
help the air flow & that keep things cool. I had a G5RV up inverted-V style:
the center up about 26 ft & the ends at 16ft. The LDG AT100 Pro auto-tuner kept
the radio & G5RV talking well to each other.

I know I must have asked for repeats about a hundred zillion times & everyone
was nice enough to repeat their exchange enough times till it finally sank into
my thick head.  Sending â??SBERâ?? went smooth as I had very few requests for
repeats. One highlight of Sunday morning was working Charlie W6KK (also in
SBER) on 15M CW.  â??What a hootâ?? I thought upon hearing his serial number in
the low 80â??s and being able to send my number back up in the lower 300â??s.
Though I had to pull the plug shortly afterwards and I figured with him still
going, he must have passed me up with ease with only a couple more hours of
work.

All in all, a fun outing for the weekend.

73,

de N6OO Tony