[3830] Makrothen RTTY VA7ST SO/Single Xcvr LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Makrothen RTTY VA7ST SO/Single Xcvr LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 09:15:47 -0700
                    Makrothen RTTY Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SO/Single Xcvr LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 11

------------
   80:   22
   40:   28
   20:  150
   15:   20
   10:
------------
Total:  220  Total Score = 876,840

Club:

Comments:

FT920 and N1MM Logger and MMTTY (better than ever this time out!)
3 element tribander @ 45'
2 element 40M inverted V beam
80M inverted V
Trapped vertical with 36 radials

        Band    QSOs    Pts
         3.5      22   66324
           7      28  108080
          14     150  626044
          21      20   76392
       Total     220  876840

Opened K1TTT.NET cluster at 23:49z (11 minutes before the contest) to see the
WWV info at SFI=73 (all right, I guess), K=4 (not so good), and A=23
(horrible).

Last year, I struggled to break 800,000 points. This year, going in with
slightly better performing low-band antennas (higher inv.-V for 80, and a good
vertical with 36 radials for 40M), I was shooting for a million but not much
more than that. With a little better conditions on 40M I'd have hit the goal,
but it didn't happen.

Friday night was great for the first hour on 20M, working JAs aplenty. The band
fell silent quickly, and went to 40M. Worked a few, but not as many as hoped.
80M was terrible -- got into the midwest a little but barely any eastern
seaboard, though I could hear a few KWs.

End of first eight hours: 315,258 on 80 Qs.

Was looking for a strong eight hours on 20M today. SFI 73, A 21, K 3 -- yech.
Ended the second session with 830,000 or so. Found VR2XLN at 2356z, worked him

surprisingly easily.

No sigs on 80M when I got back in for the final four hours -- 5 a.m. local,
1200z. Managed one Q on 40M then went to 20M where EU was slowly opening. Only
really good signal was RZ3AXX, and it took several overs to get my grid
through. Left till the final half hour or so, picked up a few more Qs but not
many.

So, did better than last year on all but 40M, and improved over last year
despite solar min status. A far lower score than 2004's 1.5M. Conditions just
not good -- felt more like a domestic contest than a DX event, but still had a
very good time.