[3830] PaQP W8MJ Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w8mj@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] PaQP W8MJ Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:43:50 -0700
                    Pennsylvania QSO Party

Call: W8MJ
Operator(s): W8MJ
Station: W8MJ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs): 22
Radios: SO2R

  160:   23     22      0         0
   80:   97    120      0         0
   40:  148    308      0         0
   20:   18      0      0         0
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
---------------------------------------
Total:  286    450      0         0  Mults = 67  Total Score = 62,913.0

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

My best start ever in all the years I have been doing PQP.  Had 103 q's the
first hour, but then it went down from there to a more normal rate compared to
prior years.  Rate seemed decent for the first 4-5 hours, and then dropped off
some more.  Band conditions seemed good for 40.  Was getting good signal
reports on the Telerex Beam, but activity seemed down.  Figured 20 meters was
opened to the West Coast, and activity was on that band.  Did make a few q's on
20 meters, but signals were very weak on the big stations, so no short skip here
on this end.

Cq'd on SSB with one rig, and worked CW on the 2nd radio.  Pretty much operated
that way the entire weekend.  Did a lot of s&ping on both radios.  While cqing
yielded some q's there were no big runs, just consistent one here and there.  A
lot of pushing of the F1 key.

At the end of the first day I had 66 counties in the log, and just needed
Sullivan for the Sweep.  The 2nd day was extremely crueling, a lot of s&p, and
cqing.  Had 549 q's at the end of the first day, and 187 q's for the 2nd day.
Just kept busy sweeping the bands on the 2nd radio looking for q's and cqing.
Switch back and forth between both rigs s&ping and cqing.

WA3RA/m gave me the sweep at 1842Z on Sunday from Sullivan.  Was glad to get
the sweep.  WA3RA/m had great qrp signal for 3 watts.  A consistent S5 to S7
and great audio every time he came by to work me.

Good job by the mobiles, and rover stations.  Ended up with an additional 3,600
points to be added to the posted score for working the bonus station N3SH.

Mobile contacts: W3USA/m (30), KB3CO/m (19), AD8J/m (7), K4MUT/m (10),
WA3RA/m (5).

Rover contacts:KN4SK/R (7), K8RYU/R (8), K3KYW/R (4), NN3Q/R (3), WF9A/R (3)

Uniques:    366

Main Radio  522
2nd Radio   224

All in all the results were a little better then last year.

73's Ken W8MJ