[3830] CQWW SSB W4WS(@KG4NEP) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, henry@summitschool.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W4WS(@KG4NEP) M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 06:19:19 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W4WS
Operator(s): KG4NEP, WS4NC, KB6MTH, N5WNB, N0KTY, KG4ECI, W2DZO
Station: KG4NEP

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   30     7        9
   80:  209    19       69
   40:  368    27      102
   20: 1412    34      138
   15:  701    30      114
   10:   98    14       35
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Our first effort in M/2 after 15 years in the M/S category. What a difference in
strategy, band changes, etc. Network ran well all weekend- had an amplifier
problem and our 160 antenna was problematic with all the rain on Friday night
and wind on Saturday morning. Quick patchwork on Saturday salvaged the band for
us.
20 was the band here in NC. 15 was a scatterbrained nightmare both days, but
more especially Sunday- skew, backscatter, and in/out conditions hurt us. At
one point, the east coast US stations were 5-7 kcs wide and 20-30 over S9 here
in NC- then they would disappear in a flash. We even started a run on an
absolutely dead quiet frequency only to find a station there 5 minutes later
(sorry Jim!)The Sunday 1 hour 10 meter band opening to the south helped a bit
on an otherwise dead band (didnt have the Saturday 10m opening everyone up
north seemed to have).
Our NE and NW beverages worked great- Robert's stations took a massive
lightning hit this summer and we only realized on Wednesday that our beverage
pre-amps were destroyed- replacements were overnighted and culled together to
deliver 80 and 160 switching capability to all stations on Friday.
Station interaction was minimal, but theres still room for improvement. Our low
yagis were critical this weekend, hearing things when the high ones would not.
we were late in getting things ready for theis year's WW- lots of schuleing
conmflicts- everyone is so busy. We'll be sure the mad push 2 days before
doesnt happen next year.
Life is like that at our cheap champagne station on a cheap beer budget (with
apologies to N4ZC).
Everyone learned something and we all had a blast- which is why we do this,
right?
The season is open! Now to get ready for Sweeps-
More on our website soon-
73,
Henry, W2DZO
W4WS M/2