[3830] CQWW SSB G4FKA SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB G4FKA SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 13:00:04 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: G4FKA
Operator(s): G4FKA
Station: G4FKA

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Bristol
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   25     2       15
   80:  100     4       32
   40:  101     9       39
   20:  126     9       38
   15:  130    13       50
   10:   58     5       27
------------------------------

Club: Bristol Contest Group

Comments:

No towers, amps, beams or internet used here - just good old wet string!

First time using the 756ProIII in this marathon so it was a good chance to
compare it with the 706MkIIG as used in the previous 4 years. Needless to say
there was no comparison. The 706 used to fold under all the strong signals on
the lower bands but the 756 was streets ahead and I just love the twin filter
controls.

Antennas here are very simple. The first is a 30m inverted V wire doublet fed
with 450 ohm ribbon with the apex at about 10m up in the midst of a very fully
and wet leafed 20m high oak tree and scrunched most of the time into a 15m
garden. The other antenna is a 10m wire vertical with 3 wire radials, with the
base at ground level tied into the next fully and wet leafed oak tree about 7m
ft away from the first. So most of the RF absorbed into the trees no doubt!

Aims for this weekend were to have fun, enjoy my usual S&P dabble, balance the
activity across all 6 bands and see what could be done with relatively little
ERP, with a target of at least 500 QSOs for the first time.

Most pleasing experience was getting the doublet to emit some power on 160,
with 25 Qs and 15 DXCCs after some patient calling in the wee small hours. Also
happy to make 500+ Qs in the periods I was able to operate and all search and
pounce. Some of those Qs took a lot of calling but that's all part of the small
station experience!

Summary was 540 Qs for 164,754 points. QSO numbers by band were 160 (25); 80
(100); 40 (101); 20 (126); 15 (130); 10 (58). Not too much in the way of DX
interest but pleased to get a handful of South American and Caribbean stations
in the log plus 7W2W, 6W1RY and 9M6DXX.

Very enjoyable as ever and a few more Qs in the log. Thanks to all the stations
who pulled me out of the RF stew! Same again next month for CW.

Geoff G4FKA