[3830] SS CW W1NN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW W1NN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 06:09:59 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 6:45

------------
  160:
   80:   15
   40:  182
   20:   22
   15:   67
   10:
------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This was the first time on the air from my new Medina Ohio QTH.

I returned from a week-long business trip about 1:15 before the contest start
with no antennas up and all equipment still packed in boxes, so there was
simply no way to get on the air Saturday.  On Sunday morning I managed to put
up an old 40 meter dipole in a nearby tree, with the center at 25' and the ends
about 6', and set up the old TS-930 and an old laptop, and by 11:15 AM I was on
the air.  I figured I'd be limited to S&P on 40 but managed to get a
surprisingly good run going for the first two hours.  Then I realized that the
antenna should resonate on 15 and found the band to be filled with stations.  I
couldn't get many answers to CQs but most stations I called could hear me.
Later I tried 20 and the auto tuner in the 930, after groaning for about 30
seconds, managed to tune the antenna.  As expected, it didn't work well but to
my surprise I was able to work KL7J and a few other needed mults so it was
worth the pain.  The tuner was even able to tune the antenna on 80.  It was
tough going but several stations were able to pull me through.

It never ceases to amaze me what can be done with a really crappy antenna.  I
guess all those stations out there with good antennas are able to hear peanut
whistles like mine.  I only missed NT, EMA, VE2, VE4 and DE.  I probably could
have found at least three of these five if I had spent another hour or two in
the chair.  There is a lesson here:  Don't miss out on the fun just because you
don't have an antenna farm.

Thanks for K8MR for offering to come over to help me put up an antenna on
Saturday before undertaking his annual multi-station SS marathon.  I couldn't
get home in time to take advantage of his offer, but it was appreciated.

I hope to be on next year with a better setup.

73, Hal W1NN