[3830] SS CW K8CC Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8cc@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW K8CC Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 15:58:17 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K8CC
Operator(s): K8BB, K8CC, KK8I
Station: K8CC

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:    0
   80:  616
   40:  424
   20:  113
   15:  110
   10:    0
------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Station:
2 x FT-1000D, Henry 2K3, 40M 4-1000A, 20M 3-1000Z, 15M 3-1000Z, 10M 2x3-500Z

Antennas:
80: dipole, 4-square
40: 2xdipoles, 3L
20: 5L/5L & 4L
15: 5L/5L/5L & 4L
10: 5L/5L/5L

We always look forward to SS CW.  This year, we got to share its mysteries with
SS rookie KK8I/DL2HBX, who joined K8BB and I for the first day, then went home
and operated Sunday from his home QTH.

Usually, from W8 in SS the big story is 40M.  However, this year it was 80M.
We went to 80M at 2345Z (which is early for us) wedged ourselves in on 3538 and
stayed there until 0830Z.  Activity on 80 seemed much higher this year, perhaps
because 40 was so stinko (at least for us).  40 seemed to be plagued with slow
QSB all Saturday night - for example, we'd hear a big gun W7 well over S9, and
two minutes later he'd be barely audible.

One thing which did not help this was having to do without our big 3L 40 yagi
for most of the contest.  Back in August, the rotator started having trouble
maintaining it's grip on the mast, so we put some clamping bars on it to hold
it in place due west and save the coax.  However, unnoticed by us was the fact
that the wind had turned it to 60 degrees, which caused much confusion amongst
the operators.  However, it did raise VO1HE on the first call in the pileup
Saturday night.  On SUnday, K8CC climbed up the tower to tighten the rotator
and remove the clamp bars and all was back to normal.

The packet-induced pileups on new stations Sunday night were unreal!  You would
have thought Heard Island was underneath the mess.

This is the seventh year (out of the past eight) that we've done SS CW multiop.
 Our goal all along has been to beat the existing MI multiop record at 1253 x
79.  We've finished ahead of that score twice, only to lose out in the log
checking.  We'll see how we fare this year...

73,

Dave/K8CC
Don/K8BB
Uli/KK8I