[3830] SS CW AA5B Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, draperbl@sandia.gov
Subject: [3830] SS CW AA5B Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 16:19:18 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: AA5B
Operator(s): AA5B
Station: AA5B

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NM
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  195
   40:  373
   20:  327
   15:  210
   10:
------------

Club: NM Big River

Comments:

Another field day style operation. As of Friday afternoon, my only antenna was
an 80-meter inverted L. By noon on Saturday I had the rest of my antenna farm
in place:

40: Inverted vee, apex at 55 feet on a push-up mast.
20: Inverted vee, apex at 45 feet on a second push-up mast.
15: Inverted vee, apex at 35 feet on a fiberglass pole lashed to my deck.

Really gotta get a tower in place next year. Now that the landscaping at the
new house is just about done, maybe Iâ??ll get started on the station.

Interesting problem: Something in the audio system was picking up the AM
broadcast station about a half mile away, so I was treated to easy listening
muzak in my right ear all weekend. It was
A. Relaxing (â??KKJY, soothing music for your busy day!â??),
B. Challenging (try copying QRP exchanges through Sinatra),
C. Annoying (see C),
D. All of the above.

Just as in many previous years, I felt like stopping a few times or maybe just
putting in a part-time effort, especially Sunday morning, but kept going
anyway. Iâ??m sure many of you have felt the same way at times.  My wifeâ??s
advice after listening to my grumbling during a break: â??No oneâ??s holding a
gun to your head, ya know.â?? Oh yeah? The club needs my points!

Gun or no gun, it was fun in a warped sort of way. Glad I stuck with it.

   73,
      Bruce,  AA5B at arrl.net