[3830] CQWW SSB SJ2W(SM3WMV) SOSB(A)/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, mike@sm3wmv.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB SJ2W(SM3WMV) SOSB(A)/160 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 14:00:31 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: SJ2W
Operator(s): SM3WMV
Station: SM2HWG

Class: SOSB(A)/160 HP
QTH: Sika
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:  270    7        47
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total:  270    7        47  Total Score = 15,892

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

I had planned a serious SOAB effort and was all setup already on Thursday
evening. Motivation was high but when we got hit by a big snow storm I had
icing on the antennas which stopped working properly. At one point on Friday I
could only use the verticals, none of the beam had an SWR that was ok to work
on. That changed though and I had the big antennas working on 10,15,40,80 and
160 but unfortunatly not 20M. That kind of made my motivation drop so I ended
up doing the contest just semi serious. I switched over to working assisted and
made about 2000 qsos during about 25 hours. I will send in the log SB160M
assisted just to get a lame SM record.

I had a few fun US runs on 15/20M and even worked W3LPL on 10M during the night
via some ES/Aurora, he was S9+ and the only signal on the band at that time. The
night before I got 3 VE stations. Also heard N7DD on 15M at that point, only US
heard.

Lowbands were strange. I had FY5KE S9 in the morning on 80 well after our
sunrise, I called and called but they did not hear me. I had problems all
weekend working guys on 80M even though they were S9. When trying to get a JA
on Sunday evening on 80M I had to turn the tower around and use the 2el yagi,
the 4 SQ was not enough...very strange propagations. I worked N7UA and W6KW
long path on 80M and N7UA called in later on 20M to thank for the QSO, that was
fun! Also worked buddy N6MJ at W6YI and a few other W6/W7 LP on 40M.

10M was a huge suprise, so was 15M and 20M was also quite good. 40M SSB sucks
and when I wasn't serious I didn't spend much time struggeling on that band.

Now we'll play M/S in CQWW CW from the same station. Big thanks to Lars, SM2HWG
and his wife Cindy for the chance to use this mighty fine QTH. Next SOAB
activity will be the 9A CW Contest!

http://sm2hwg.sm3wmv.com

Mike (SM3WMV / SM3W / SJ3A)