[3830] WAE RTTY VA7ST Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WAE RTTY VA7ST Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 17:07:26 -0800
                    WAE DX Contest, RTTY

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 17

   80:   54   54    0     48
   40:   51   51    0     42
   20:  194  194   70     84
   15:   62   62    0     44
   10:
------------------------------
Total:  431  431   70    218  Total Score = 93,958

Club:

Comments:

Brutal conditions till Sunday afternoon when things turned great(comparatively).
SFI=97 all weekend, after weeks of 74. Ap=22 until Sunday afternoon, when it
dropped to just Ap=9. K=4 or so till Sunday, when it fell to K=2.

Bands were noisy as hell here, until it rained on Sunday afternoon (I had been
praying for rain) to eliminate the power line noise. My rate jumped with the
noise gone.

Europe was marginally open Sat. and Sun. mornings for a couple hours around 8
a.m. Au was level 7-8 Saturday, and the polar path wasn't good, but Au was down
to 3 or 4 on Sunday, but it didn't give me much into EU. Maybe helped into Asia
though.

The drop in the A-index made 20M sing for the final few hours.

Greatest surprises: ZD8A calling me on 20M Sunday afternoon with a huge signal.
Don't know what he's using for an antenna, but I want one. I had to ask QRZ?
just to make sure it wasn't KD8A.

Also was called by a huge signal from 9M6XRO -- he sent QTC and didn't miss a
character. Had so much fun working the big sigs down there, I did it again a
few minutes later with YB2ECG.

Slacked off on QTCs this year in general, due to band conditions. Made one with
SA, but it was sketchy so didn't try that again. The other four were with JAs.
Only 7 sets in total.

Biggest disappointment: 40M. Until Sunday afternoon I had just 30 Qs and 33
mults there. Got a few more in the final hour Sunday, as I couldn't stand not
trying for more there, with so many stations and mults not worked.

The 2-element 40M inverted-V beam comes down tomorrow (stat holiday) and the
delta loop 2-el. beam goes back up. Not going to throw away CQWW CW using a dog
on 40M.

80M was pretty good. Last year made 85 Qs for 56 mults with a full-sized delta
loop. This year made 54 Qs for 48 mults using an inverted-V.

Managed more Qs on 15 and 20 this year. Beat my multiplier total from last year
on both, too.

Lack of QTCs and poor 40M mult performance did me in score-wise though.

          QSOs        Mults
 Band:  2005 2006   2005  2006
        ---------   ----------
   80:    85   54     56    48
   40:   126   51     75    42
   20:   169  194     74    84
   15:    60   62     42    44

Year   QSO  QTC  Mults      Score
2002:  251   40    186     54,126
2003:  113  109    120     26,640
2004:  311  117    198     84,744
2005:  452  159    259    158,249
2006:  431   70    218     93,958

Looking forward to CQWW CW in two weeks and praying for rain or snow to dampen
the noise to the east.