[3830] SS SSB VE4EAR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB VE4EAR Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 13:26:56 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VE4EAR
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4EAR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MB
Operating Time (hrs): 23

------------
  160:    0
   80:   81
   40:   66
   20:  291
   15:   79
   10:    0
------------

Club:

Comments:

IC-746Pro   SteppIR BiggIR vertical/135' doublet

Thanks to everyone that heard my wee signal amongst the QRM. This was my first
SS and it was a lot of fun. Perhaps I set my goals too high (to beat VE4XT and
VE4VV)  for a first time effort, I will know better next time. Aimed foe the
sweep like everyone else but missed ND and SK, my two neigbor zones.

Got a late start due to some last minute antenna adjustments. I raised my
doublet about 15 feet at the apex and boy I am glad I did. It know sits about
40; above ground and made a big difference in 80m performance. (No surprise I
know!)

Being low power with a vertical and wire antennas, it was pretty hard to
compete for band space. The best thing to do was use the propagation to target
specfic areas. When 15m was long, it was the right time to dig out PR and PAC
stations. On Sunday morning it was the time to work the east coast, Saturday
night it was the west coast, etc. Other than that, it was find the strongest
signal and try and work 'em. When that dried up it was time to start digging
out the other A's and Q's or change bands.

The highs:

- Despite the fast pace contest environment, the friendly nature of many ops
that greet you by name or add some personalized comment. I know it lowers your
rate but for most of us running at the 1 contact every 3-4 minute rate, it just
seems like the friendly thing to do.

- Having an operator running a frequency hand the frequency to you so he could
run off and chase the last needed section that was just spotted.

The lows:

- Having a decent run going on Sunday morning just as 20m was opening, Big Gun
N6 station calls me, then takes over my frequency AKA sprint style. It was not
like he didn't hear me, he had just called me.... There is being aggressive and
there is being down rigt rude...

- Missing the sweep by missing ND and SK. I would have thought those would have
been 80m automatics from MB. I hear them any other night...

So how do all the contesters make the lost time up to their XYL's?

73

Ed