[3830] CQWW CW 6V7D(K1XM) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1xm@underwater.org
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW 6V7D(K1XM) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 05:28:58 -0800

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station:  Elecraft K2

Antennas:
160-40  Titanex vertical
20-10   3 element monoband yagis
RX      K9AY loop

A fun contest overall.

I'd set goals of 4000 QSOs and at least 5 Meg.

The contest started well enough with rates of
140, 169, 153, then slowed a bit which I expected.
It picked up when the sun came up.  I could run
Europe before the US.  I was watching the online
scoreboard on my spare computer and I think I was
the first station to break one Meg.

Then I got hit with a stomach bug and the
word run took on a whole new meaning.

Saturday night when the hallucinations overrode
the stomach cramps I got some sleep - about six
hours.  I don't usually take that much but I
really needed it.  My apologies to anyone who was
in my pile-up before I went to bed, I was hearing
some really crazy calls and knew it was time.

When I woke up I wasn't feeling too good and I
figured my 4000 QSO goal was unreachable but I
got back on the air at around 0630 to do what
I could.

At 1200Z I stared getting some decent rates, 112,
146, and 159, and I thought maybe if I pushed I
could get close to 4000.  This would mean skipping
meals for the rest of the contest but since the
thought of food was making me queasy that wasn't
going to be a problem.

I ran 40 meters in the evening (local time is GMT)
and by 2330Z I had 4000 QSOs.  I went to 160 because
I told several people I would and after working a
few I tuned 160 and then 80 for mults.

The 6V7D callsign threw some people and I can hardly
wait to see the creative writing in the UBNs.  Expect
some BV7D and 647D calls  My other choice would have
been to operate as 6W7/K1XM which is very long.  To
top it off my keyer went berserk on me and would
switch to a different keying mode or speed or weight
just for fun.

I'm not good at finding a clear frequency but I learned
a new way from NN#*.  I had been running for a while and
he showed up and called CQ.  I continued calling CQ.  He
disappeared.  A moment later he sent "6V7D QSO B4" and
went back to calling CQ, ignoring my CQ's and my QRL.
Next time I'm running high power I gotta try that one!

I learned another new technique for getting through a
pile-up.  When the DX comes back to a station which does
not answer you send a call halfway between the one he's
calling and yours.  When the DX comes back to the "corrected"
call you send your callsign.  If he's in a hurry he won't
realize what has happened and anyhow there's not much he can
do without breaking is run and reducing his rate.  Cute, huh?

The last few years I've been the only station on from my
country.  This year I was the weaker of the two stations.
This was different and fun - I didn't have to worry about
making sure people worked me on six bands because they
could get the country from the other guy.  On the other
hand I'm sure I didn't get a few multipliers because they
did not need to call me.

It looks like I've pretty well trashed the low power records
for the country and the zone.  I'll probably be back here
next year.