[3830] CQWW CW FS/AH8DX SOSB/15 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ah8dx@msn.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW FS/AH8DX SOSB/15 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 10:21:39 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: FS/AH8DX
Operator(s): CRAIG, AH8DX
Station: AH8DX

Class: SOSB/15 QRP
QTH: French St. Martin
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:  737    21       62
   10:
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Suitcase Station: Elecraft K2, Sony Vaio and Vertical.

This was the lightest that I have traveled in years and I am sure my signal was
light also. I ran qrp all weekend so the reasoning behind me having to repeat
callsigns and reports endlessly. With me traveling so much I thought that it
would be a great idea to take my wife and two kids on a Thanksgiving vacation
and do the contest in between playing with them on the beach. As much as I
would have loved to sit in the chair all weekend behind the radio; I knew that
my children needed their dad's attention also.

I first started the contest out on 160, but after logging only four stations in
a couple of hours I knew that I needed more power and a bigger antenna. I
decided that 15 was probably the best band to do qrp.

I tried a new spot for this test that was about 500' above the ocean on the
side of a cliff and just attached a vertical to the balcony with four radials
to the north. With a flat swr it played great. The Elecraft K2 heard very well
also. I just wish I could have held a frequency better. I had to operate high
in the band almost to 21.100 at times to get away from everyone.

Highlight of the test was working Bob, E51YAQ at almost 10 pm my local time. He
was the only signal on the band calling cq and he heard me calling him.   Thanks
for the great ears Bob! Maybe being familiar with my call helped also. It was
also nice to be back in FS after traveling so often to 8R1EA.

Thanks everyone for having gud ears and pulling my signal out of the mud; see
you all in the next test.

Craig, AH8DX