[3830] CQWW CW KR2Q SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW KR2Q SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:30:53 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: KR2Q
Operator(s): KR2Q
Station: KR2Q

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: FN20RU
Operating Time (hrs): 39

  160:   14     4        4
   80:   59    11       30
   40:  173    24       74
   20:  262    23       85
   15:  237    21       78
   10:   22    12       17
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

OPERATING TIME
I say 39 hours, CT sez 29 hours.  Well, I was "in the chair" but I guess CT
thought otherwise.  Even at 39 hours, this is the fewest hours I have operated
in CQWW (serious effort) since I was the "10 meter guy" at K2GL/N2AA m/m.

I did antenna and tower work all week.  I was supposed to finish Wednesday but
at 4:30pm local time I find myself on the tower IN THE DARK and it is starting
to hail.  Oh well.  I am "almost done" and will finish Friday.  I work another
six hours on antennas on Friday.  UGH...I just can't forecast how long things
take me now.

Could not stay awake by 0606z first day and went to bed..and did not set the
alarm.  Figured I'd let nature take its couse.  I was back in the chair at
1217z (including showering, etc).  Not too bad.

Day two I force myself to bed at 0900 and the alarm wakes me up 2 hours later,
but it isn't until 1152 that I'm back in the chair.

FUN STATS:
1.  Worked a total of 102 DXCC countries.  Not bad for qrp in one weekend at
the "bottom" of the cycle.

2.  Nice opening to JA a couple hours after sunset local time (20m) on 11/25,
putting ten of them in the log.  Always makes me happy.

3. Worked on FIVE bands:  9Y4AA and HC8N

4.  Worked on FOUR bands (no small achievement with qrp either)
8P5A
CT3KN
CT6A
CU2A
DF0HQ
DR1A
EA8EW
G4BUO
G5W
HI3A
KP3Z
LR2F
OK5W
OM8A
P40T
PY2NY
TI5N
TZ5A
V26K
VC3E
VE2TZT
YW4D
ZF1A

MY STUFF:
First time giving the Elecraft K2 (qrp cw only...I did not buy the amp) a
genuine, serious workout.  Still getting to learn this radio.  Sure wish it had
some more features for contesting, such as RIT/XIT readout of offset and an
"always on" display for VFO B.  Quite a nice radio and seems basically
uncrushable from this location.  Best sounding rig I have ever used from here
on the low bands.  I was, and am, very impressed.

Ed McMahon:  "A Pair of K2's."  Karnak:  "What is in KR2Q's future."  SO1R for
this contest.

Outside:  Optibeam "small" tribander (OB11-3) at 72' and 402CD at not much
above it (but at 90 degrees).  2L 5-bander HB quad at 54 feet (from ARRL
antenna HB).  160:  1/2 wave wire with center at 50 feet and ends at six (6)
feet on tower 1.  80 meters:  1/2 wave inverted V with center at 50 feet and
ends around 15-20' on tower 2.

COMPLIMENTS
HC8N was everywhere and workable!  I even heard them off the back of the beam
(on every band, including 10).

G4BUO...4 bands and basically all were one-call QSO's.  Take your bow!

FUN:
Working double mults at sunrise BY INTENTION!  Especially great to "run into"
VK6 while "the pursuit of double mults" was on with the sun rising.  Hannibal:
I love it when a plan comes together.

THE GOOD (?):  Hearing the other guy some back to either R2Q or KR2 and then
have them noticably pause...and fill in MY CALL!  thanks Randy?????

THE BAD:
Where the heck did all the other KR callsigns come from?  It used to be "just
me."  Had a hard time convincing some stations that I was NOT KR5V,
KR4-whatever, Prefix # KR, and even KR1ST (how does 1ST sound close to 2Q?).
But in the end, they all "got it."

CONCLUSION:
Overall, had a enjoyable time.  Good contest, good competition, good friends,
and lots of good surprises during the sunspot bottom

de Doug KR2Q