[3830] TBDC N2IC Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC N2IC Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 08:22:18 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N2IC
Operator(s): N2IC
Station: N2IC

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: New Mexico
Operating Time (hrs): 14

Total:  QSOs = 552  Total Score = 2,889

Club:

Comments:

We all hope that this will be the year that the 160 DX spotlight shines on us,
with great DX conditions for the Stew Perry. Unfortunately, this wasn't quite
the case from New Mexico ! What Europe there was favored the east coast, and if
you weren't in northern Europe, you were really shut out from the USA openings.
There was some JA propagation, but it favored the Pacific northwest.

Good USA propagation for my first 6 hours, beginning around 23Z. I was amazed
to be able to sit on one frequency for that time, and keep a steady rate. No EU
called in during that time, but several KH6's and NL7Z did.

Around 0530Z, I gave up on the idea of any EU answering me, and did some S&P.
Worked 6 EU stations, and heard several more. The strangest QSO's were with
G3SJJ and GI3OQR, answering my CQ's at 0830Z, well after I expected any EU.
They were both audible only on the SE beverage.

Worked 22 JA's between 1033Z and 1143Z. After that, no JA's at all - not any
kind of sunrise enhancement (SR = 1414Z).

A total of 43 QSO's >= 10 points. Not bad for ho-hum conditions and a 3rd rate
antenna from New Mexico.

Best DX was (again) VK6DXI. Thanks for hanging in there, Mirek !

73,
Steve, N2IC

Antenna: 1/4 wavelength (mostly) vertical wire. Beverages NE, SE, SW, NW