[3830] CQWW CW CU2A(OH2UA) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, oh2ua@oh2u.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW CU2A(OH2UA) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 07:32:31 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: CU2A
Operator(s): OH2UA
Station: CU2CE

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Radios: SO2R

  160:  341    16       64
   80:  882    23       87
   40: 1710    33      106
   20: 1293    31      100
   15: 1634    28       95
   10:  528    22       69
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

After operating the CQWW SSB from CU2A, I left everything in place
and practically the station was ready for contest upon my arrival week
before the CW part. There were no any surprises with station or
antennas so most of the time I had to think what to do and how to
spend my spare time... It was so amazing!

Well, just a couple of days before the contest weather forecast
indicated that very bad storm was approaching the island. The
storm would hit the Azores Thursday. So only thing one could do was
to hope that it would not be as bad as expected and that antennas
will survive on the tower.

Storm began on Thursday night as expected and was lasting until
Saturday morning. The wind speed was up to 100 km/hour and
some household items were actually flying around the house. And you
can only guess how much I was afraid because of the antennas - my
treasury!

Fortunately everything stayed up and we did not even experience any
electricity problems during the entire weekend. You can see
some video clip about the storm in our web page, www.cu2a.com under
CQWW 2006 CW pages.

Prior operating from CU2, my highest experienced QSO-rates were around
160 Q/h. Now I felt that I had soooo slooow start with first
three hours with only 165, 208 and 164 QSOs. You´re never satisfied,
yeah?

As a new strategy point, I'd decided to focus on working more DX than
year ago. So after 10 hours of contest, I was 120 QSO´s behind my
2005 QSO number but equal in QSO points. So there was no reason for
panic even tough I just could not get my pileup running the way I had
hoped for.

I was running my last year EU-record score simultaneously all the time
and I did notice that I was falling behind in QSOs hour after hour.
On the other hand, my multipliers and points per QSO were somewhat
better than 2005 thus the score was quite equal for first 18 hours of
the contest.

At 1800UTC I made the decision not to go on low bands for EU
and possible Asian multipliers, but instead stay on 15 and 20 mtrs
and focus for 3 point NA QSO´s. It was a risk because from Azores
there´s only a very limited time window for low band Asian QSO´s. But
I knew that my EU pileup would be so huge that tracking Asian
QSO´s would be difficult! I could work those Europeans later when
higher bands get closed.  And it was paying off. In next three hours
my score was gaining about 120 000 pts compared to 2005.

The same scenario continued during the entire weekend. I was focusing
on 3 pointers and multipliers and falling behind in QSO´s. But at the
end I was happy to see that my claimed score is about 350 000 pts
higher than my claimed score last year even with 200 QSO´s less.

My great thanks once again to whole the Azores/Finland Friendship
Consortium for their help and especially to José, CU2DX & Paula,
CU2YL for their great hospitality!

For more information, please look at www.cu2a.com

73 de Toni, OH2UA