[3830] NAQP CW VE6CNU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW VE6CNU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 10:39:01 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: VE6CNU
Operator(s): VE6CNU
Station: VE6CNU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Calgary
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5

  160:
   80:   85    33
   40:  116    39
   20:  103    35
   15:  159    30
   10:
-------------------
Total:  463   137  Total Score = 63,431

Club: Alberta Clippers

Team: Alabama Contest Group #2

Comments:

My goal was to improve on last year's score, since this year I had a better 80m
antenna (shunt-fed tower vs. my old G5RV), and a better tri-band yagi (TH6 vs.
my old TH3).  I got off on the wrong foot by thinking the contest started at
1PM local time, instead of 11AM - so I missed almost the first two hours.
While it is possible to make up the 2 hours at the end, there was almost no one
on by that time and the condx here were very poor on 40m and 80m.  I still don't
have an antenna for 160m - but I doubt that it would have mattered.

I started out on 20m, made about 100 QSOs, then switched to 15m.  I had some
real good runs going, with up to 225 QSO-hr (my new high), before I switched
back to 20m.  Then my FT-1000MP developed it's notorious VCO problem (I just
read about on the MP reflector) - which meant that the rig was dead between
7.500 and 14.500 MHz.  This caused me to switch to 40m much sooner than planned
(about 3PM local time).  At least I did better on 40m and 80m than last year!
My score was down about 20% from last year - which isn't bad, considering all
the problems.  And at least it looks like my rig shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Thanks to all for an enjoyable, yet trying contest.  CU all in the next one.

Jerry
VE6CNU