[3830] NAQP SSB W4KAZ Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kazeringue@aol.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB W4KAZ Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 11:22:25 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: W4KAZ
Operator(s): W4KAZ
Station: W4KAZ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 8.25

  160:   37    22
   80:  253    41
   40:  121    34
   20:   31    17
   15:   12     8
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  455   123  Total Score = 55,965

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

What follows are the gratuitous and extraneous ravings of an NAQP and contesting
novitiate:

This NAQP turned out to be another 80 meter contest for me, although it didn't
start out that way.  I wasn't making any headway on 20 meters, so I ditched the
high bands for a try at a run on 40 meters.  That worked well as long as it
lasted, but I needed to ditch my run in favor of a couple of household errands
and a turn at burning various meats over an open flame, accompanied by a small
glass of fermented hops-laden adult beverage.  (Sam Adams Black Lager- very
good stuff.)

After a suitable period of discontinuity, I rejoined the fracas fortified and
with distended belly.  Sacrificing further 40 meter mults, I set up shop early
on 80 meters, and enjoyed an unprecedented(for W4KAZ) string of QSO's over the
next 2.5 hours.  The ten minute rate meter got as high as 175/hour.  After
looking at my log, I had one sixty minute period that was at a 98/hr rate.
Almost got to the 100.Q/hr goal, but not quite.

Over the 8+ hours I operated the contest, it averaged out to 55 Qs/hr.  Huh?
Gotta be a mistake!

Okay, that's not too notable to most serious contest folks, but its pretty good
for this operator at this station-of-the-wet-noodle-antenna.  I'm not really
sure why 80 meters has been playing so well in the domestic contests, but I'm
happy with the result.

Moving to 80 so early boosted the total, but since my 160 meter antenna is
relatively poor, the last couple of hours were spent begging for QSO's on all
three low bands and soliciting band changes for mults from run stations on 40
and 80.  The band change strategy gathered in a worthwhile few extra mults, but
the Q totals were low in the last two hours.

Woo hooo!  NAQP will likely remain one of my favorite contest formats for a
long time.  It is just plain fun.

73
W4KAZ, Keith  a.k.a. "Andy"