[3830] CQ160 CW AC6DD Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ac6dd@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW AC6DD Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 01:14:29 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: AC6DD
Operator(s): AC6DD
Station: AC6DD

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 472  State/Prov = 51  Countries = 20  Total Score = 107,352

Club: Slovenia Contest Club

Comments:

Excellent DX conditions, this was easily going to be my best score ever in this
contest.

I was ready, everything was tested and working, no antenna experiments, just
sit down and keep making contacts. The bad part is that I now have a new
horrific noise in the N-E direction. Last week I located it it to be at a Water
treatment plant located a couple of miles away.  Hint: S9 + 20 noise spaced 6
KHz or so.   VFD's!  Even so I was able to work in between the noise most of
the time.  We had a storm and it rained most of the night, but the QRM was
manageable, less so the rain noise.  I worked 19 DX multipliers on the first
night - good sign.  CN2A had an excellent signal on the West Coast for more
than 30 minutes, he was calling CQ for long times with no takers (around 07:30
Z). Excellent signals from JA and the Pacific.  Just like many others I was
unable to work BA4RF and BD1Z.

On the second night conditions appeared to be even better. CU2A and EA8EA could
 be copied very early. I even heard an IK4 coming back to someone. Many stations
on the band, a lot of them yet unworked.  I just wish the VFD noise would go
away.  And all of a sudden BAM! - it is gone, the band is packed with stations
and no noise.  This is great! I can copy many new stations now.  But wait!  My
amp is not working, and the UPS is beeping. (Due to previous experiences I now
have a small UPS set up).  What happened?  I step outside, and everything is
dark - the whole town is dark.  I just hope the power comes back soon.  I try
to call a few stations with 100W, but only manage a contact with K2NV in NY.  I
figure I better save batteries, and only listen until the power comes back.  I
scan the band writing down stations to call later - two small pages.  Than a
storm hits and it is total wipeout - S9 +20 dB noise across the band. Pretty
soon the UPS goes dead.  I am now in the dark in a trailer on a pier in a
storm.  Perfect time for a beer and a sandwich, the power should be back any
minute.  An hour later still no power.  I am freezing, so I decide to get in
the truck and turn on the the heater.  Things are getting better by the minute
- the truck keys are locked inside the truck - no spare.   By now I am walking
around in the rain to keep warm.  No power yet.  No telephone, I am stuck here.
 After a while I see a car coming.  By a lucky coincidence I am able to get out.
 It is 23:30 - still no power. On the way home I see a lineman crew working in
the rain. It looks like someone hit a power pole with their car - took out the
whole town and with it my contest weekend. Note: need to buy a generator.

DX multipliers worked: PJ2, CE, VP5, V3, KH6, KP2, XE, EA, CU, CN, EA8, JA, ZL,
T32, HP, KL7, VK, UA9, 3W, KP4

Heard, but not worked: BY, PY, FM

Niko - AC6DD