[3830] CQ160 CW KD2MX Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW KD2MX Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 20:14:48 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: KD2MX
Operator(s): KD2MX
Station: KD2MX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Oakland, NJ
Operating Time (hrs): 14

Total:  QSOs = 279  State/Prov = 46  Countries = 4  Total Score = 32,450

Club:

Comments:

I suffered  an identity crisis about halfway through the contest.  I started out
as a qrp entry.  Last year was my first on top band and I could only run qrp
without lighting up our microwave oven.  Back then every state was a new one
for me and I did ok.

This year I have a better antenna and can run my full 100 watts like a little,
big gun:), but I still wanted to see how I'd do with qrp.  Friday evening was
very busy. Went to bed for a few hours.  Checked out the action early am but I
didn't hear anything too exciting and went back to bed.  Stuck with qrp all
Saturday and lost a few multipliers.

Conditions seemed better on Sunday morning.  The band was open to the west
coast and I soon learned that I still can't work that far on 5 watts.  I was
sytmied on multipliers, having already missed a couple "close" ones.  I
still hadn't worked OR, WA or CA, and OR was booming in.  I was just getting a
few dits into OR,  but not enough to make it.  So I took a deep breath and
turned the dial to 100w and became a low power entry.

Still it was not so easy but I added 10 multipliers (and 4 new states)
without too much problem.  No CA though, worked a few OR and NV but didn't even

hear CA, which was strange.

I know I missed a couple of states early on.  MS really hurt.  Heard one MS and

he had quite a pileon and my qrp didn't cut it.  I got some of the multipliers
back but I was down at least four.

Oh well,  I beat my score from last year by a considerable amount and bettered

my qso total, just by my qrp contacts which satisified my starting goal.  Quite
a few EU stations early Sunday evening, even managed to work one!

I hope everyone else enjoyed the weekend as much as I did.

73...Paul/kd2mx