[3830] CQ160 CW N8II Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@AOL.COM
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N8II Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:44:49 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): ~9

Total:  QSOs = 685  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 29  Total Score = 153,680

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I don't think I'll ever make it to serious 160 contester status, I just
 don't enjoy staying up late. I've had some back problems lately which
 make really long stays in the chair difficult. I didn't make it home until
 0020Z Friday night and was just a bit too tired to set-up the venerable
 TS-830 which I don't normally use and operate. So, I didn't get on until
 about 1330Z, over an hour past sunrise. Despite being fresh meat, I only
 managed about 30 Q's before activity dwindled to near zero. Sat PM best
 hourly rate was 109 in the 24Z hour; I had one spurt when the rate meter
 hit near 200. The rate was good enough that I didn't S&P much until
 0130Z and didn't spend nearly enough time find all of the DX. My best
 condx to EU were from 24Z until about 0330Z, then it was worse, but by
 05Z or 0530Z there was a good sunrise peak that I missed into EU, went
 QRT at 0430Z. I was called by a steady stream of USA stations and
 started working the West Coast near or before their sunset around 01Z.
 Quite a few unfamiliar CO and CA stations called in. I was called by
 a few EU including UA2FZ, ZY7C, ZV8DX, PY5, VP5, and HK3. The stations
 from Brazil were pretty loud and CE1/K7CA was booming in from Chile.
 Condx around sunrise Sunday were poor for DX; the window was quiet
 except for stateside lids. Sunday evening was also poor for DX, but
 CT1 and EA8 were added and NT0V in ND called in. For the very limited
 time I put in and the handicap of zero Q's the first night, I recovered
 pretty well. The half sloper isn't maybe quite as good as a real
 vertical, but it packs a whallop into the states, especially to the
 west. I had pretty good luck with state mults, only missing SD, ID,
 AK, and HI. Local QRM from one of the big guns was a discouraging
 factor, but really wasn't too much a problem. Thanks for the calls
 and hope to attack this test harder next year.