[3830] CQ160 CW ON4UN Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW ON4UN Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 14:42:48 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: ON4UN
Operator(s): ON4UN, ON4WW, ON5OO, ON7PC
Station: ON4UN

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: nr Ghent
Operating Time (hrs): 33

Total:  QSOs = 1673  State/Prov = 47  Countries = 77  Total Score = 1,300,356

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

This was going to be a fun contest weekend, amongst friends, not a big competive
effort...
Operators were: ON4UN, ON4WW, ON5OO and ON7TK
We were active less than 33 hours, no scraping for the last possible QSO during
daylight...
Almost to our surprise we made 1673 QSOs including almost  400 Stateside QSOs.

States + provinces: 47. Furtherst West: NM, UT, Az and MT. We were even called
by a station from ND !
DXCC: 77. I've seen a station claiming over 90 countries. Congratulations! I
wonder which were the 13 or more countries we missed. I know we did not
hear/work ZL, VK or JA. Our best DX to the East was BY, XU and 3W.
Despite all the multipliers we missed to the East the score was 1.300.356
points. Not bad a for a fun contesting weekend...
We worked with one radio, and one operator at a time, so no second station
looking around for multipliers... guess that must be why we missed so many
multipliers ???
Equipment: Ten Tec ORION II (of course) + Amp 2 KW (legal limit here).
TX ant: full size 1/4 wave vert with 200 radials
RX antennas: 12 Beverages, one every 30 degrees, some of them end fire phased
(staggered).
It was fun, no stress as we wanted to have fun rather than to win...
Good experience in the contest: the quality of the signals seems to improve,
less clicks and fewer noisy signals, although some are still excelling in both
fields.
Bad exeprience in the contest: just one. DD2D flatly refused to work ON4UN. He
just pretended not to hear us. After at least 10 or 15 calls (he was 40-50
over), I just started to call CQ on his frequency, knowing pertinently I would
not cause any interference as he was not hearing me. I worked about 10 stations
and he just worked one or two in the same time ...and then, miracle.. mircale...
he suddenly heard me, not for making a QSO though... Who was the operator?
DK8ZB.  According to QRZ.com he is also K8ZB... Although K8ZB, according to
QRZ.com is someone else... Strange...

Hope to be there again next year. Maybe we'll do a serious effort next time...
73 and thanks to all for the QSO (except DD2D / DK8ZB).