[3830] NA Sprint CW W6YX(N7MH) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW W6YX(N7MH) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:39:13 -0800
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:  105    1:30
   40:  107    1:19
   20:   90    1:11
---------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: Northern California Contest Club #1

Comments:

After getting a late start last year this time I convinced Matt, WX5S, to
abandon a nice RTTY run on 20M so that I could switch the radio and computer to
CW Sprint.  I had everything set up but the power supply to the keyer had
disappeared and we couldn't find a wall-wart with the right plug.  Thanks to
Matt and Rebar, KI6CCH, who helped me find it and get set up with a couple
minutes to spare.  Rebar continued to operate the WPX RTTY contest on one radio
while I did the sprint on the other.

Contest observations:
Rain static on the high 6-element 20M Yagi was S7 so I used a low 205CA on 20.

Only mult heard but not worked was VE4.

Received more #1 QSOs (7) than I remember from any previous sprint.

Too many RATs makes it hard to remember which of them you've already worked on
a band.

Worked at least 3 Sprint newbies who continued to call CQ on frequency instead
of giving it up.

Several operators, including a couple of WRTC competitors, have not figured out
that there are two distinct Sprint exchanges.  This undoubtedly lowers their
score as well as confusing the rest of us.

Many operators aren't waiting for the acknowledgement of the previous Q and
send their call immediately.  I had to remove 1 Q from my log that I couldn't
confirm because someone jumped in early and was louder than my "NR?" request.

I worked some Sprint regulars later in the evening in WPX RTTY, including one
of the missing mults.  Moving CW Sprint to a different weekend would increase
activity and move 40-meter operation back to the normal part of the band (at
least there wasn't a major DXpedition this time).

Regardless, it was a fun 4 hours and I was glad to make over 300 Q's, even
though it's likely that log-checking will bring me below 300.

-Mike, N7MH