[3830] RTTY WPX K0TG(@W0AIH) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0tg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX K0TG(@W0AIH) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:29:44 -0800
                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: K0TG
Operator(s): K0TG
Station: W0AIH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 17

   80:  190   562
   40:  282   918
   20:  336   771
   15:   85   132
   10:    0     0
-----------------
Total:  893  2383  Prefixes = 395  Total Score = 941,285

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

Another great WPX from "The Farm"!  This is the 2nd year I tried operating from
W0AIH.  Also the 2nd year that I did a part-time operation.  :(  I was
originally planning on a full-time SOAB operation tis year.  But as it turned
out I had to go to Omaha Friday for work.  So I drove from St. Paul, MN to
Omaha, NE (400 miles), worked Friday night, slept and got up in the AM and
drove back home on Saturday.  I was home for about an hour then left for W0AIH.
 Just about a 2 hour drive from my QTH.

Earlier int the week I had tested out my setup and was ready to roll!  I was
using a laptop with USB MicroKeyer.  I set the laptop aside and used an
external keyboard, external mouse and monitor so I could just set the laptop
aside.  It is great to have a "normal" keyboard and not have to use the laptop
keyboard and hit those small function keys.  When I got there I thought it
would take a half hour tops to get things on teh air and rolling. Paul had set
up the SO operating position (not a minor feat for a normally multi-multi
station) so all I had to do was get the MicroKeyer hooked up to the FT-1000D
and a few other small things and be ready to go.  Well, Murphy was lurking.  At
home I use the 12V power from the rig to power the MicroKeyer.  To make a long
story short, none of the FT-1000's at The Farm have 12V on the back of the rig.
 Paul figures that it is from accidently plugging in the footswitch to the 12V
jack.  Makes sense. Same type of connector and you can't see back there.  Oh
well, go it going.  Thanks Murph!

Equipment used:

Laptop with USB microKeyer
FT-1000D
Alpha 87A

Antennas Used:

80 - 4 Square
     Loop
40 - 3 element @ 70 ft
     3/3 HyGain at 180/90 feet
20 - 5 element @ 105 feet
15 - 5/5 Stack 110 & 70 Feet
   - 4/4/4/4 Stack Independently Rotatable
10 - 5/5/5/5 Stack on Rotating Tower (no magic band opening powers
apararently)

http://www.qth.com/w0aih/index.htm

What is with some ops that use all the ....... and dashes and spaces in the
exchanges?  Just send the info needed and move on please!  The other pet peeve
is when you ask for the serial number you usually get the whole report again.
When condx are rough you always print the useless info and never the part you
need.  I know there are a lot of new ops on the mode, but most stations
operated this way.  Hopefully this gets better.

I had a great time, even though it was 1/2 the contest for me.  I owe the score
to the station!  Such wonderful hardware!!!!

73, John  K0TG