[3830] ARRLDX CW K1LT SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@ds.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K1LT SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:59:07 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: Carroll, OH
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:  105    54
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  105    54  Total Score = 17,010

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Three days before the contest, an ice store broke the transmitting
antenna and the North/South (two wire) Beverage.  One of the "tee"
wires broke under the ice load, and the resulting inverted L was
resonant at 2.1 MHz.  Friday afternoon I lowered the remaining "tee"
wire at the supporting tree and added another 20 feet of wire to bring
resonance back into the band.  There was too much snow and ice to
lower the vertical to reattach the broken "tee" wire.

One the first night, the inverted L seemed to lack a bit of the punch
that the "tee" had.  The second night transmitting seemed normal.

Even though the North/South Beverage broke nearly in half, the broken
Beverage was better than any other for stations due south.

The baby normally squawks several times between 5am and 7:30am when
she gets up, so I assumed I could count on a squawk to roust me from
bed for sunrise.  However, the first night she squawked at 4am, which
was too early, and then again at 7:30.  By the time I got to the
radio, I had missed everything.  The second morning, she squawked only
at 7:30, and I got to the radio quicker, but KH7X was the only station
available to work.  I'm sure she will resume her normal squawking
schedule, now that the contest is over.  Maybe I should get an alarm
clock.