[3830] ARRLDX CW N9CO SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N9CO@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N9CO SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 03:15:39 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N9CO
Operator(s): N9CO
Station: N9CO

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 14.5

  160:
   80:
   40:  352    82
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  352    82  Total Score = 86,592

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

FT-1000MP
SB-220 (1.5 kW... just barely)
CC XM-240 2el yagi @ 95'
TR-Log v6.79

First time for 40 single band.  After a couple of years of 20 single band,
decided to try something different.  First obvious difference is how easy 20
single band is on the body time clock at this time in the solar cycle.  It's
open during the day, and closed at night.  I'm not used to 40m hours, and had
no time to prepare.  I really suffered the first night, and could not stay
focused.  I'm sure that I missed on some good openings.

The second night was much easier, mainly due to strategic amounts of coffee
consumed during the day and early evening.  I had to break away from Saturday's
EU prime-time opening to take my 11 year old daughter to the annual Girl Scout
"Daddy-Daughter Dance".  Got back to the rig around 0330z.  Stayed planted in
the chair until after 0900z.  I forgot how cold the unfinished basement shack
is when the rate is around 4 qso's/hour.  Took a short break, and was back
around 1130z.

Sunday nights' EU opening was great.  First qso of the run was around 2100z,
and the contest finished fast and furious.  Some good mults called in during
this run.

All in all, it was still a good time.  ARRL DX CW is one of my favorites.  I'm
sure with better planning and better preparedness that I can find another 150
qso's and a few more mults on this band from my station.  One thing for sure
that will make an immediate difference is adding the roofing filter to the MP.
Next year.

73 for now, and thanks for the q's and the fun!
Charlie  N9CO