[3830] ARRLDX SSB N1IW SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1iw@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N1IW SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 03:56:18 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N1IW
Operator(s): N1IW
Station: N1IW

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:   10     9
   80:   40    28
   40:   75    44
   20:  280    72
   15:  128    48
   10:    2     2
-------------------
Total:  535   203  Total Score = 325,206

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

FT-2000 + Aplha 87A
3 over 3 SteppIRs for 20-15-10 at 35' and 90'
2 ele M2 on 40M at 60' fixed on Eu
264' OCFD for 160M/80M at 80'
40M dipole at 70', N-S broadside
500' NE/SW beverage

Came off a very busy week on the work front so energy levels were pretty low.
Set a goal of 500 Qs and then proceeded to baptize the FT-2000 in its first SSB
contest. Still haven't worked all of the kinks out of the audio routing using
the Microham MK2R+, so did not delve into the land of SO2R this time. I did
eventually figure out how to use the MK2R+ voice codec for DVK too. The FT-2000
performance and configurability (is that a word?) never fails to amaze me. Make
no mistake though, it is definitely not a plug-and-play rig.

Several times during my Eu runs on 20M (where I clearly had a clean 1.8 kHz
swath to work the Sunday afternoon crowded room full of mumbling Europeans at a
60-70 rate), I had adjacent stations drop in and tell me the frequency was in
use. And then, when I initially would ignore them, they would krank up their
audio or processor gain and wipe out my receiver passband. Isn't that called
"intentional interference"? Anyway, I knew my TX signal was clean as I had
checked it out before the contest on a spectrum analyzer and noted all of the
level settings. I also asked some of the guys in EU I was working to see if I
was splattering: nope, just loud. Come on you knuckleheads... Either acquire a
descent receiver or switch to S&P! One of the challenges of an SSB contest I
guess... dealing with stations calling CQ with 10 kW transmitters and listening
on a crystal receiver.

Anyway, made my goal plus a few and had some fun in the process. Thanks for the
Qs and see you all again in the fall!

-- Mike, N1IW