[3830] WiQP NE9U SO Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WiQP NE9U SO Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 20:16:38 -0700
                    Wisconsin QSO Party

Call: NE9U
Operator(s): NE9U
Station: NE9U

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 7

  160:
   80:  182
   40:  196
   20:   81
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:          6
  UHF:
--------------------
Total:  459     6  Mults = 75  Total Score = 112,950.0

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

Well, as others have said, that was a struggle!

We had to sit in 2 of our first 3 counties to get the 12 qso's for the bonus
points...that got me worried that we wouldnt get to our destination in Sawyer
county by the end.  It ended up we made it with about 20 minutes to spare.

The morning started out bad as I woke up with a good cold and fever, but I
figured I may as well play radio as sit in bed all day.

We drove 3 hours to our starting point in Sauk county where we had lunch and
then sat around for 1/2 hour waiting for kick-off.  We monkeyed around trying
to get the computer to talk to Art's TS850S but no luck.  We tried the 2 stop
bits, various baud rates, etc....maybe Art has a bad W1WEF cable....  Anyway,
things were slow enough all day I only messed up once on a band change.

The first 4 hours had to have been the slowest ever for me in a long time in
WQP with no hours over 60.  Luckily we had a good final hour.  (made about 1/4
of our contacts in the last hour or so!)

Usually, me and Art drive up to Sawyer county on saturday night where we have a
good steak for dinner.  This time we ended up in sawyer county and by the time
we got to my cabin, most everything was closed down and we had to settle for
Bar pizza at the only place still open...maybe we will have to bring steaks
with us and grill out!

Total mileage for the trip was about 650 miles (nothing like the 1000 we put on
for MnQP!)

I'm not sure if participation is dropping or if it was condx.  I am going to
dig out my old logs and compare qso totals by year to see if there are any
trends.  IN retrospect, with how slow things were, time spent on ssb may have
paid off...unless no one was on there either????