[3830] WPX SSB AK1W(K5ZD) SOSB40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5zd@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB AK1W(K5ZD) SOSB40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 17:17:14 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: AK1W
Operator(s): K5ZD
Station: K5ZD

Class: SOSB40 HP
QTH: W1
Operating Time (hrs): 16

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:  961
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------
Total:  961  Prefixes = 453  Total Score = 1,004,754

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Probably the worst conditions on 40m for a WPX Phone contest that I can ever
recall.  Friday night started OK, but Europe virtually disappeared after the
first 2 hours.  If the first 2 hours had not produced such a high rate, not
sure I would have continued.

Was interesting to hear some of the big Eu multi-ops at our sunrise (which
would be local noon for them!).  Only heard 3 JAs, all loud, but none listening
up.

Saturday night about 22z, just as the band was opening, my wife announced that
I was taking her out to dinner.  No refusing that request.  Missed what was
probably the best 3 hours of the evening.

Sunday afternoon the band had a suprising amount of USA activity.  Calling CQ
resulted in a slow but steady rate.  Finally, with 2 hours to go the bands
returned to "normal" and it was possible to work some Europe for valuable 6
point QSOs.

I have a lot more respect for the KC7EM USA record set back in 1995 (1.95Meg).

Biggest suprise was calling CQ around 22z on Saturday and having 2 VK stations
call in on the long path.  Also being called by two different 9K2 and HZ1
stations.

Nice to exchange notes with K9NW during the contest.  I think we are both nuts
to do single band 40!

Some numbers:

          160M    80M    40M    20M    15M    10M   Total      %

    NA       0      0    760      0      0      0     760    79.1
    EU       0      0    150      0      0      0     150    15.6
    AF       0      0      7      0      0      0       7     0.7
    SA       0      0     19      0      0      0      19     2.0
    AS       0      0      8      0      0      0       8     0.8
    OC       0      0     17      0      0      0      17     1.8

Most worked countries:
     K                   676                          676
    VE                    57                           57
    DL                    27                           27
     G                    17                           17
    OK                     9                            9
    VK                     9                            9
    EA                     8                            8
    PY                     8                            8
    S5                     8                            8
    SP                     8                            8