[3830] WPX SSB K4RO SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4ro@k4ro.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB K4RO SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:20:15 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: K4RO
Operator(s): K4RO
Station: K4RO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 25

------------
  160:   25
   80:  134
   40:  498
   20:  688
   15:   53
   10:   21
------------

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

As "Comic Book Guy" from the Simpson's would say with great disdain,
"Worst conditions EVER. I will only operate another 20 hours." :-)

First time I've never been able to run Europe on ANY band on the
first morning of DX a contest. The auroral oval was reaching into
the lower 48 states. I've never seen it that ugly during a DX contest.
Conditions improved by Sunday, but not all that much. While twenty
meters was runnable, just about every frequency had at least two
or more people calling CQ on top of each other. Working the really
weak ones was all but impossible.

I actually enjoyed the operating quite a lot, in spite of the really
lousy conditions. I think my ears are getting used to the never-
ending QRM of phone contesting. It's like my brain just ignores the
splatter and wall-to-wall QRM. I just make contacts in spite of the
absolute chaos happening on frequency. I remember being amazed when
last year, we at KM9P operated about 200 hertz from K3ZO for the better
part of a day on 14.226.  Fred won the single op category, and we won
the multi-single trophy. It is still possible to make QSOs, even when
the entire world is crammed into one open band.

Worked a bunch of new operators and a whole slew of serial number 1's.
I'm going after the TCG's RadioActive award this year (see this link:)
http://www.k4ro.net/tcg/radioactive/index.html

My focus this year is on QSO numbers, regardless of point value.
I've also been trying to pace myself so as to not burn out, since
I am operating contests literally every weekend this year, so far.
I'm operating a lot more phone and RTTY, and having a ball with it.

I spent a lot of time running USA on 40 meters, and there seemed
to be a bottomless pit of callers. I took the time to welcome new
operators to HF, and had a blast saying hello to all of my friends.
One thing about non-competitive phone contesting is that you get
to chat with the other guys that are just goofing around. It's kind
of rare to run into a lot of these guys outside of the heat of battle,
and I enjoy the opportunity to exchange some laughs together.

If this contest were still 30 hours for the single op, I would have
probably gone the distance, ran SO2R, and and really competed. 30 hours
gives more stations in less-advantaged areas a shot at top single op
honors. In other words, more meaningful competition for many of us.
I guess there's no chance of that ever changing back, is there...?

Thanks for the QSOs!

73

-Kirk  K4RO