[3830] Volta RTTY VA7ST SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Volta RTTY VA7ST SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 22:00:57 -0700
                    Volta RTTY DX Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 11

   80:    1    11     1
   40:   48   476    17
   20:  165  3131    53
   15:    2    16     2
   10:
-------------------------
Total:  216  3634    73  Total Score = 57,300,912

Club:

Comments:

* N1MM Logger + MMTTY
* 3 el. tribander at 45'
* 40M half-squares N-S (EU/W6) and NW-SE (AS/US-VE)
* Trapped all-band vertical on ground

Solar conditions for this one: SFI=72, A=3, K=0

Last year was great fun, but this year was even better despite solar minimum
conditions. Wanted to see what running QRO (500-800w) would do for the score.
It didn't dramatically raise the Q total, but really improved the percentage of
DX Qs and mults, which is where the points come from. Received signals are 10db
stronger when a new mult adds about a million points, hi.

2007 HP Band    QSOs    Pts  Cty   Sec
         3.5       1      11    0    1
           7      48     476    3   14
          14     165    3131   40   13
          21       2      16    0    2
       Total     216    3634   43   30

           Score : 57,300,912

Year-over-year improvement  Qs Mult      Score
May-07 Volta RTTY SOABHP   216 73   57,300,912
May-06 Volta RTTY SOABLP   150 60   16,452,000
May-05 Volta RTTY SOABLP    71 33    1,255,848
May-03 Volta RTTY SOABLP    25 16       81,600

Up-front apologies to the US/VE stations I wasn't able to pull out of the S-9
noise on 20M. I'm still severely handicapped by power line noise when looking
anywhere south of EU bearings (30 degrees through 150 degrees). The effect is
less noticeable on 40M and 80M, due to low gain antennas there, but I know it's
burying signals just the same. When running the amp, can't run the
noise-canceling box. Rig's noise blanker helps but busy bands pump the hash
through anyway. At least the power utility knows where the problem is and will
fix it whenever they get arount to it. Patience now, radio bliss later.
_______________________________

15M: heard and worked two stations. Hope the exchange info is correct as it was
almost ESP between local power line noise and very weak signals here.
_______________________________

20M: great all day long. Once the polar EU path opened (only superstations were
worked till around 1500z), it stayed open till late in the afternoon -- 2330z or
so. Worked many more EUs this year than last, adding quickly to the point
totals. Morning worked lots of DX in all directions, and quite a bit of
domestic activity -- though I think stateside participation was down this year
(could be I had the beam turned north longer than usual).

Found the new North-centred CDE meter a huge improvement for sweeping through
EU to Asia bearings. Used to take a minute or two to go around the long way,
and then back if it was a fruitless move. I didn't realize how illogical that
was till this year. I bet I've added years to the HamIV's life.

Details of the meter scale redesign at http://www3.telus.net/va7st/meter.htm
_______________________________

40M: not open as early as it was each day of the preceeding week. Had been
working EU at night all week, but not a signal to be heard Sat. evening. Felt
strong to NA once the band opened for the West coast. Got up at 4 a.m. local
(1100z) for the final hour -- not much on at that time, but did net ZM2A (loud
here) and a pair of JA mults (both very loud, but the only JAs on the band).

Last year on 40M I ran 3-el US and 2-el EU Inverted-V beams to work 26
stations. This year, I have half-squares for these bearings and worked 48
stations, with the mult count up to 3/14 from 0/11. After years of
experimenting, I'm sticking with half-squares -- best performers I've had yet,
offering instant switching to my four most productive paths.
_______________________________

80M: what a dog. Using a vertical, heard and worked one station all evening:
NP3D/NY2 (I'd have predicted at least a handful of W6/W7 Qs, not Andre out
east. He must be running a big array.) Aluminum 17-ga fence-wire radials have
all disintegrated since last summer's installation, and are brittle and
breaking into pieces. Now noticing the poorer performace. This week will begin
running insulated copper wire in the lawn.

Was good to get on for the 11 hours I operated. Realized late evening activity
here isn't worth being at the rig, but it is worth jumping in for that last
hour in the pre-dawn.

Gave the measley antenna farm a good workout and had a great time doing it.
Thanks for the Qs.