[3830] WPX CW NX5M M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW NX5M M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 20:39:55 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M, KU5B, N5XJ, N5DUW, NO5W, N5NU, KH6SH, K5OT, K5GQ
Station: NX5M

Class: M/M HP
QTH: TEXAS
Operating Time (hrs): 47

------------
  160:   70
   80:  320
   40: 1057
   20: 1473
   15:  760
   10:  412
------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

It was a wet and stormy weekend here in Texas.  You guys who were trying to call
us on the low bands....hope you understand what it sounded like here.  One word
describes it; BRUTAL.  There were many who were impossible to pull out of the
noise.  Those who took a couple of minutes to stick with us until we finally
got the callsign and exchange (sometimes one letter/number at a time) are
greatly appreciated.  Also appreciate those who tried.
Nice change of pace to have have several European stations call in on 10m.
Speaking of 10m, this was the only station in our setup that had an issue.
Seems the top rotator will turn but the indicator in the shack is flat.  Had to
have someone go outside a few times to see where it was pointed.
I had built a new 20m phasing/relay box a couple of weeks before the contest.
I was happy to have it work perfectly the entire weekend.
One of the last minute operators was KH6SH (John) who was in Texas from Hawaii
on business.  It was indeed a pleasure to have him join us and he did a
fantastic job on 80m.  Also logged some time on the higher bands.  Fine
individual and persistent operator.
NO5W (Chuck), K5OT (Larry) and N5NU (Jason) were first time operators here.
Nice to finally have schedules without conflict which allowed them to be here.
K5OT was only able to be here for the first 24 hours but put in some quality
time in the chair(s).
The regulars rounded out our operating team (N5XJ, KU5B, N5DUW).  AB5K was
going to be joining us for the weekend but lost his father during the week.
We dodged storms all weekend.  Some were very close but we keep
going.....except for Sunday at 1700z when we had a cell right over head.  We
were shut down for about an hour or so.  Had it not been for that hour of down
time we might have been able to catch up with NQ4I.  NOT!
Talked to Rick (NQ4I) on the phone Sunday morning.  Thought about asking him to
shut down until we caught up!!
I think the iron man award for my crew goes to N5DUW who sat in the 40m chair
from 0400z until 1330z Saturday without taking a break.  This was not planned
of course but his 40m partner never came back into the shack during the night
and most of the morning and missed 8 hours of his scheduled operating time.
KU5B had to miss the first few hours the first night but was expected to arrive
around 0430z.  He finally walked through the door at 0700z and I told him "he
was fired".  Pretty neat to fire a person who is not getting paid anyway.
Maybe by this time next year we will be digging out of the solar hole.
Many of you guys moved to other bands for us.....thank you for your support.
Others we asked to qsy.....but they sent their serial number again....even when
we asked them at seriously reduced speed.
KU5B is spending the night here tonight and just reminded me of my interesting
SO2R-OOSOTR operating I did Saturday evening.  Being short a 10m operator as
well as a 15m operator at that time, I came up with the SO2R-OOSOTR routine
which is Single-Operator-2-Radio-On-Opposite-Sides-Of-The-Room.  I had two
headsets on, one with a long cord, sat in the 15m chair, put the cq's in sync
with eachother, put audio from 10m in the left ear and audio from the 15m and
ran between the radios as needed.  It was interesting.
Nice to visit with K5NZ for a while.  Drives 60 miles during his off-time to
come visit us......why not just operate with us next time?
73 and have a great summer.