[3830] WPX CW VO1HE SOSB15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vo1he@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] WPX CW VO1HE SOSB15 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 05:07:37 -0700

CQWPXCW Score Summary Sheet

CallSign Used : VO1HE
Operator(s) : VO1HE

Band : 15M
Power : HIGH
Mode : CW
Gridsquare : GN37PO

ARRL Section : NL
Club/Team : East Coast Canada Contest Club
Software: N1MM Logger V7.5.4

Band     QSOs    Pts   WPX
   21    277     667   220
Total    277     667   220

Score : 146,740

Rig : FT-920
Amp : Heathkit SB-220
Antenna : SteppIR 3 El @ 60ft

Soapbox :

Where to begin....

Well, I got my new rotator in place a week ago or so and it's working great. I
know where the antenna is pointing now, which is a good thing. But did it ever
get a workout this weekend!

Propagation was all over the place. Europe would start booming in on the back
of the beam, then US, then Africa, then SA, then ZL... I had to switch the
antenna and turn the beam a million times.

I never had any QRM at all and pretty well had the same CQ frequency for the
whole contest. 15 wasn't all that crowded but it was really quiet.
Unfortunately that meant it was not in great shape. I can't count the number of
times I would have someone call me, get their call OK but the report would fade
into the noise floor.. many never to return. I figure I will have a lot of NIL
and bad reports in this one :(

Speaking of having a clear CQ frequency, I figured I'd take the plunge and try
my hand at running instead of the standard S&P I do in CW contests. After a
while I got a bit used to it but it really helped that I never had any times
where more than one station was calling at a time. Sometimes it's nice to NOT
have a pileup... especially when you're just getting your feet wet HI.

I used W1VE's real-time on-line log again this time. In the WPX SSB contest, I
was chasing (and beating... periodically) VO1MP but had no locals to compete
with in this one so I chose the nearest one to me in the category... it turned
out to be Pete N4ZR... to keep up with. He pulled out to a big lead but I
managed to catch up. He leaped ahead and I managed to crawl back again. That's
the fun of contesting for me... not to mention the working of new stuff, 5 new
band-countries this time around.

Anyway, thanks for everyone who called me and thanks for your patience with all
the repeats. CU all for the RAC Canada Day contest.

73 -- Paul VO1HE