[3830] WPX CW K4RO SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4ro@k4ro.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW K4RO SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 08:12:50 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: K4RO
Operator(s): K4RO
Station: K4RO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    2
   80:  145
   40:  595
   20: 1185
   15:  161
   10:    7
------------

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

WPX CW 2007 was surprisingly good fun, despite the disturbed
conditions.  My opening hour of 147 QSOs was a personal best.
I didn't even have rate like that from VQ5V in 2004 WPX CW.
Of course it only lasted an hour.  But what an hour it was!
The second hour I had to fix a crashed server -- while still
operating the contest!  That was a very interesting time,
with some serious multi-task window-swapping happening.

The first 24 hours were mainly a domestic contest from here.
There was little DX propagation the first day, but conditions
improved as the contest went on. The low bands were very noisy,
with thunderstorms from Texas to Minnesota crashing away.
The Beverage antennas got a real work out on 40 meters.

All of the incremental station improvements I've made over
the years are really starting to pay off. I made several
more pre-contest improvements as usual. One of the joys of
making station improvements for a particular contest, is
that I get to enjoy those improvements for years afterwards.
I'm still having problems with SO2R QRM when transmitting
on 40 meters.  I seriously need to get that cleaned up.

Still using old analog radios and Mosley trapped antennas,
plus a trapped 4BTV vertical. My only 40 meter beam is a
two-element wire yagi fixed on Europe. Yes, I am living
in the past, and still having a blast! :-)

Congrats to the big scorers. Thanks to everyone for the QSOs!

73

-Kirk  K4RO