[3830] WPX CW OF3F(OH6KZP) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kim.ostman@tut.fi
Subject: [3830] WPX CW OF3F(OH6KZP) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 00:37:43 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: OF3F
Operator(s): OH6KZP
Station: OH4A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Kisko
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:   56
   80:  269
   40:  880
   20: 1088
   15:  189
   10:  200
------------

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

Generally crappy/disturbed propagation, excepting a few highlights. After
enduring bad condx but still having a blast doing M/2 with Teijo OH6NIO at his
station in the SSB leg, I was hoping for much better conditions on CW. But it
was not really to be. Heavy QRN on Sunday evening also unfortunately impacted
the totals on 160m and 80m. Fortunately the thunder itself waited for
immediately after the contest at 0300 local time on Monday to begin, so I
didn't have to take any extra breaks because of that.

Knowing that I was competing especially with Marko OH4JFN at OH8X and having
set a goal to break the Finnish SOAB HP record (4.5M) kept things very
interesting. Operating this contest also entailed a series of "firsts" and was
a valuable learning experience. It was my first time doing single op from a big
gun station, and it was my first time using the SO2R concept. Two radios
definitely helped my score, although I still need practice in juggling things
smoothly. Unnecessarily many ?'s were sent on my running frequency as a
consequence; my apologies to those who were affected!

A big thank you to Jukka OH6LI and his family for letting me come and
complicate an otherwise ordinary weekend at their summer QTH. Their hospitality
and Jukka's tactical advice were very much appreciated. The station worked
flawlessly throughout the contest and was a joy to operate (and I think I
finally even figured out a mental rule for remembering where that second mast
is turned :) ). Many thanks also to Seppo OH1VR for permission to use the
special callsign OF3F.