[3830] WPX CW TI5N(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW TI5N(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 09:21:45 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: TI5N
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: TI5KD

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Costa Rica
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:    0
   80:   29
   40:  309
   20:  300
   15:  343
   10:  158
------------

Club:

Comments:

Rig: TS-940S set at 5 watts.

Antennas at TI5KD:

Quad up 25 meters, 4 el 10M, 3 el 15M and 20M

TH6 Tribander up 25 meters, fixed north

2 el yagi for 40M up 30 meters

2 el 40M Quad fixed at 20 degrees

80M rotatable short dipole up 32 meters

80M loop with apex up 27 meters

160M inverted V with apex up 30 meters (Never used!!)

A3 tribander up 12 meters fixed 135 degrees

20M 4 el yagi fixed north up 15 meters

With predictions saying that the higher bands would not do well, I decided to
work 40 and 80 all night long, and take my time off during the mid morning when
condx seem to be the worst on the higher bands.

And I did spend many hours on 20 and 15 struggling to make 10 QSOs an hour.

But even when condx were bad an occasional rare station would burst through.
As an example, for quite a while on Saturday, I had only one QSO on 10 meters,
but that one QSO was HZ1EX!  And when 15 meters seemed closed, I suddenly came
across 9K2HN calling blank CQs with a good 579 sig!

My most amazing Q came when I came up on 15 M to call CQ and there was a large
pile of callers. All I got out of the mess was a final "BB". So I sent "BB BB
?". Amazingly, while all the others graciously stood by, 3V8BB completed his
call!

I spent the final two hours on 20 M. I had done poorly on 20 up to that time,
struggling to make every QSO, most of which were in North America. Suddenly
every west and eastern European station was coming back to me on the first
call! I added many prefixes and Q points in those last two hours.

Many thanks to Keko for the use of his station at TI5KD.  Also many thanks to
his lovely wife Sophia for her wonderful hospitality and gourmet cooking. It is
always a pleasure to spend time with them!

...Bill Parker   W8QZA - TI5N