[3830] WPX CW DL3YM(@DF2PY) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, gissel@fh-ludwigshafen.de
Subject: [3830] WPX CW DL3YM(@DF2PY) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 01:58:14 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: DL3YM
Operator(s): DL3YM
Station: DF2PY

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 36.0
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:   13
   80:  169
   40:  663
   20: 1088
   15:  390
   10:   12
------------

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

This was a pretty demanding weekend. Designed as my first serious WPX-SO2R
attempt I found myself struggling with a number of challenges over the
weekend.
Went off to a real bad start this year. QRN was horrible during the first night
and I realized I was falling behind my fellow DL competitors the longer this
night lasted. Couldnâ??t get anything going on 40 so tried 80. Funny thing is
that most DX signals there made it easily over the QRN â?? yet no volume.
20 opened up late on Saturday and it took lots of repeats often to get calls
and serials across when working weak DX signals. Was happy to have a limited JA
run there and basically stayed on the band all day long with the run radio.
Picked up a few stations on 10/15 with the second radio but didnâ??t even try
to run there.
As I was aware of my poor 40m performance I started to hit the band real hard
around 1800. A pretty bad storm-front passed through directly over our QTH some
20 minutes later, forcing me to go QRT for another 3.5 hours â?? not a
particularly fortunate situation to help improve figures on 40 â?¦
During the night I had big problems with the SO2R-setup switching radios
randomly â?? probably RF getting into my keyboard. Besides the power supply of
the L7 amp connected to the second radio started humming and arcing â?? not a
good thing to improve my success rate on the second radioâ?¦
Sunday finally things came into place. Conditions were much better and I
enjoyed nice runs on 15 and the good opening on 20 to the US that others have
mentioned also. Didnâ??t have any energy left to give 40 another try, so
finished off my OP time on 20 and enjoyed a good red wine with DF2PY while
starting to make plans on how to do better next time.
Thanks to Wolf & family for being super hosts again and to my XYL & kids for
tolerating (yet not understanding) why I need to do this to myself, hi.
Thanks to DJ5MW, DJ1YFK and DL3TD for the good competition and mni congrats for
great scores.