[3830] NCCC Sprint N9NB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wireless@mail.utexas.edu
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint N9NB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 20:31:25 -0700
                    NCCC Sprint Ladder - Jun 8

Call: N9NB
Operator(s): N9NB
Station: N9NB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 0.5

  160:   0      0
   80:   4      3
   40:  11      8
   20:  27     13
-------------------
Total:  42     24  Total Score = 1,008

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Condx seemed good tonight, and my new G5RV at 40 ft. seemed to work better than
last week's delta loop. RF in the shack, though, just at the start of the NS
was an unpleasant surprise as it caused my IC 706 to lock up on xmt, and I had
to quickly retune to the delta loop on 20m...missed a good start, but good 20m
condx, especially to MT (!), helped ameliorate the rough start. I just cannot
figure out why RF would cause a keying problem just moments into the NS, and
not show any signs before the contest!....Murphy is indeed alive and well -- I
made a mad dash down to the kitchen, to grab some alumninum foil to try some
emergency shielding of the G5RV feed line into the shack, but it only made the
problem worse.....The delta loop quickly became my default 20m antenna.
Fortunately, no RF problems on the lower freq bands...

The spint was great fun, as always, and tonight I achieved a personal best,
breaking into the quadruple digits on score for the first time .......I still
am having awkwardness changing bands with manual tuner, and I lost precious
seconds cranking the inductor, causing me to get to 160 too late to make any
q's there. Will try to get no-tune dipoles up for next week.

Already looking forward to next week.