[3830] ARRL June VHF W9SZ Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w9sz@prairienet.org
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF W9SZ Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:38:22 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  35     25  Total Score = 1,075

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

I probably did better in this contest than I expected.  Due to some prior
commitments, I didnâ??t have a lot of time for the contest and didnâ??t do my
usual Single-Op Portable effort. Instead, I set up some antennas at home and
operated from there.

When I started on Saturday evening, K8GP had an incredible signal to here from
FM08.  I heard some of the local big guns working some great DX to the east on
144 but I only heard K8GP.

I blew out something in my 6 meter transverter but repaired it during a lull in
operating (which seemed to be most of the time).

I had mounted my 50, 144, 222 and 432 MHz beams on five of those 5-foot steel
Radio Shack masts with a rotor at the bottom.  I had the mast guyed up about 6
feet â?? NOT a good idea for something with that much mass up 25 feet!  I
almost lost the antennas Saturday evening.  The rotor stopped showing
indications of movement so I went outside to see what was wrong.  I saw the
antennas leaning at a 60 degree angle and all tangled up in my 40 meter wire
loop antenna.  I somehow managed to get the antennas free of the loop and back
into a vertical position before I tightened the guys again. They stayed put for
the rest of my contest time.

Sunday morning there was sort of a 6 meter opening to the east.  I worked a few
including VY2SS. The QSB was very rapid and deep, with fading taking out a
letter on CW and then peaking on the next letter sent. My score might end up a
little lower than what Iâ??m claiming because of several stations fading out
suddenly, but I figured I was better off to log them and risk not being in
their logs than to not log them at all.

I worked a few more stations on Sunday evening but pulled the plug at 0100Z
after not hearing anyone I hadnâ??t worked for an hour. I had expected maybe 25
QSOâ??s.  I did a little better.

Thanks to those who worked me.  Where was K2DRH?  He was the only big gun local
I never heard at all.

73, Zack W9SZ