[3830] ARRL June VHF K9JK/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K9JK/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 06:22:11 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  256    55  Total Score = 21,175

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

2007 definitely was NOT a repeat of 2006!!! (Drat! :-( )

High gas prices (with Illinois, particularly the Chicago area, possibly still
having the dubious "honor" of having the highest in the nation) really cramped
my pre-contest interest and DID limit my "wander-lust." Family obligations and
going to a hamfest on Sunday also limited operating time but what I thought was
going to be a "casual" rove, ended up being fairly busy.

I only managed to work one other rover, though I know others were out locally.
Several local stations WERE active on 50 through 432 and a few had 1.2 GHz, so
I became 'captive' to all of them, working each on 4 or 5 bands multiple times
from the grids I visited (no one from all 6 grids, though).

Working K8GP on Saturday evening from EN50, EN60 and EN61 was a pleasant
surprise and that was with 50 Watts on 144, 25 Watts on 222 and 20 Watts on
432, and "just" a log-periodic antenna mounted on the rover-mobile. A Grid
Distance calculator tells me the path lengths were in the vicinity of 475
miles! Made it from all three of those squares on 144 and 432 but just one
(EN61) on 222. I don't know who the op was on 222 but, after getting their
attention by sending "/R" on cw to listen for a rover, then sending my full
call, the "Hi, John" was appreciated. (I'm guessing it was Gene, W3ZZ?)

Thanks to all who were out there and to the ARRL for their sponsorship.

73, JK