[3830] WPX CW P40A(KK9A) SOSB40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@p40a.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW P40A(KK9A) SOSB40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 16:55:48 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: P40A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: P40A

Class: SOSB40 HP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 28

------------
  160:
   80:
   40: 1567
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

At the last moment, my wife and I decided to go to Aruba for a little vacation
and also for me to operate the WPX CW contest.   We had an enjoyable time
dining out, shopping and going to the beach every day, even during the contest,
since I only operated at night.   Last year I had a fantastic time on 40m so I
chose that single band category again.  When the contest started, conditions
were not particularly good into Europe, however I still managed to work about
80 stations per hour for the first seven hours of the contest.  When the band
closed to Europe and I worked the U.S at a 45 per hour QSO rate.  Around
sunrise the band opened to Japan and I logged some new multipliers just before
shutting down the station and taking my daytime break.   On the second night,
conditions were better, unfortunately a thunderstorm past through causing
tremendous static.  It had not rained in Aruba for weeks prior and having this
violent storm during a peak run time of this contest was really bad luck.  I
set up a short unterminated Beverage about 130 feet (40 meters) long which
greatly reduced the QRN, however it lacked the sensitivity of the beam. At
least I could hear the stronger stations with it while waiting for the storm to
pass.  I managed to keep my rate meter between 65 and 16 stations per hour
during the second night.    On the third night, I had a brief opening to Europe
and in the last hour I worked 62 stations.  Operating the contest was a lot of
fun and thankfully the station worked flawlessly.   The many unique prefix
multipliers make this event exciting from any location.  I would like to thank
everyone for the QSOâ??s.  Please QSL via WD9DZV.

73,
John KK9A / P40A
john@p40a.com