[3830] RAC Day VE4EAR SOAB/Ph LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Day VE4EAR SOAB/Ph LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 11:57:25 -0700
                    RAC Canada Day Contest

Call: VE4EAR
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4EAR

Class: SOAB/Ph LP
QTH: Winnipeg
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:   0       1       0         1
   80:   0      27       0         7
   40:   0      34       0         7
   20:   0     420       0        11
   15:   0       4       0         2
   10:   0      19       0         2
    6:   0       0       0         0
    2:   0       0       0         0
Total:   0     505       0        30  Total Score = 100,260

Club:

Comments:

Wish I could have put a fuill effort in during the second half. Being Canada day
there is the typical familiy obligations and radio contesting just isn't high on
the lost of family priorities.

What strange conditions!  Started out with a good sporadic E opening on 10m.
Considering 6m had been wide open most of the day, its a shame that other ops
didn't give 10 a listen early on.

After 10 dried up Saturday night, moved to 20. Perhaps I stayed there too long
because when I went to 40, it was pretty dead. I was woprried since the only
resort was to go to 80 and I feared that typical summer conditions would make
80 very noisey. Dropping to 80 I was shocked to find the QRN was very low and
there was no lightning crashes. I thought the antenna was dead but I was
hearing plenty of VE sigs in the phone band. Worked what I could and then
before pulling the plug, just popped up to 20m. I was shocked to find the band
open to Europe (0500 GMT). Signals weren't strong but did manage to work a few
DL and SM stations over the pole. Heard others but with a 100 watts and a
dipole, wasn't going to be heard over the kw crowd.

After about 6 hours of sleep, hit the rig before the family awoke but was very
dissappointed in the results. No one on 80, high QRN, worked a fe on 40, and 20
was closed.

20 opened normally, hearing the Carribean, east coast and a few power houese EU
stations.

Kept an eye on 6 and 10 but the previous days sporadic E opening didn't repeat
itself. To my surprise W0BH asked me to try 15m and I was shocked to find it
open north and south. Eventually managed to raise a few VE7 and VE6 stations
out west but it appears many didn't give 15m a try, assuming it was likely
dead.

Still had fun, wish I could have worked the closing 6 hours. Did manage a
couple firsts this year.

- First Canadian contacts on 10m
- First VE5 on 20m, normally skip is too short but worked at least 6 with big
sigs this weekend.

Nice to hear the other VE4's out there. The tower and beams are in the garage,
just waiting for the zoning variance and then I can start construction.
Hopefully better conditions and a bigger signal next year!

73 all

Ed VE4EAR