[3830] IARU K5NA M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU K5NA M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:45:32 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K5NA
Operator(s): K5NA, K5OT
Station: K5NA

Class: M/S HP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:    39      0     5        4
   80:   103     26    18       12
   40:   366    163    31       36
   20:   375    737    36       36
   15:   224    204    25       27
   10:   120    153    10        4
-------------------------------------
Total:  1227   1283   125      119  Total Score = 1,746,552

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Larry, K5OT, agreed to team up with me to do a two-man M/S in the IARU this
year. Last year Rich, N5ZC, came down from Amarillo and did the 2006 contest
with me.

Larry did the SSB operating and I did the CW operating and we ended the contest
with a nice balance between CW and SSB contacts. That was one one of our
objectives because that strategy was effective last year when Rich and I won
the category.

Operating the contest with just two people is intense. The intent is for both
operators to stay in the chair (and awake) for 24 hours. Larry and I managed to
do that. While one of us was working stations the other operator was always
determining the next band/mode to switch to. It got a little tough to stay
awake for the last two or three hours, but we both made it.

There was a threat of thunderstorms for the entire 24 hours of the contest and
at times we could hear thunder in the distance. But we kept our eyes on the
weather maps and never had to stop operating.

I think conditions were down some from last year. But 10 meters surprised us
with some nice stateside openings. The conditions on 15 meters were very poor.
Of course, 20 meters was a key band on both modes.

The low bands were pretty good, but sounded unoccupied because of the
summertime noise. I worked more Europe on 80M than I expected and it seemed
easy to get through from Texas. But the static crashes were brutal and maybe
that's why 80 and 160 meters seemed unoccupied.

The IARU is a fun contest even though it is top-heavy with HQ stations.

73, Richard - K5NA