[3830] NAQP CW K0RC Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0rc@pclink.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K0RC Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 09:07:06 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: K0RC
Operator(s): K0RC
Station: K0RC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:   20    12
   80:  105    33
   40:  201    44
   20:  196    42
   15:   38    18
   10:    3     3
-------------------
Total:  563   152  Total Score = 85,576

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Team: MWA VPTs

Comments:

I was going to go motorcycling but the WX provided the excuse to stay inside and
play radio. I ended up running the entire 10-hour Single Op time limit. I took
the opportunity to try out the 'ESM' (Enter Sends Message) mode in N1MM for the
first time. It works good but I'll need more practice to make the process
smoother when a qso doesn't flow thru a normal routine. I also decided to
switch from my standard S&P strategy to running a frequency. This worked very
well as my rate meter would stay above 100 stations per hour and I had a couple
ventures into 200+ territory. During S&P the rate meter hovers in the 60 to 80
sph range and sometimes ventures into 100+ territory. The 100 Watt power limit
in NAQP makes it easier to hold a run frequency.

Although packet is not allowed in the Single Op class, it makes me wonder how
many stations adhere to that rule? It 'felt like' there were surges of stations
calling during my runs, just like what happens when you get spotted during other
contests. I suppose there are stations trolling for states to fill their WAS
requirements and are using the cluster and NAQP for that advantage. I have a
mixture of 11 band/states I need to complete a 6-band WAS on CW. Nine of these
are on 10m and 15m and these are the 'tougher' states like ND, RI, and WY.

>From 568 qsos I worked 365 unique callsigns, 11 stations on 4 bands, a pipeline
into VE3 land (22 of them!), 4 DX stations (PY2NY, VP9I, XE2S, and ZL4PW), one
mobile station, and I had to give up a few qso's due to severe fading and
static crashes from storms in the area. The 160m band was brutal, with 80m a
close second. At the beginning of the contest there was 'something funny' about
the 20m band, which had severe qsb and a lot of noise. I worked K1BX on 20m and
he suggested trying 10m which provided a surprise with a contact and
multiplier. I think 10m was 'more open' but I could never find any stations to
work.

There were a few stations that did not stick around to give me a repeat for
info when requested. I was having a lot of trouble with qsb and don't 'guess'
at an exchange. They are NIL. The qsb timing always seemed to take out the fill
I needed. I ask for the state and the other station sends his callsign again and
when the the state finally rolls around, the signal is down below the noise or a
static crash takes it out. The good operators knew what was going on and would
send several repeats to make a good contact. But overall, the vast majority of
the exchanges were perfect, not missing a beat.

I'm looking forward to 10m and 15m opening up again so I can fill those empty
WAS band/states on LoTW.

A big THANK YOU to the sponsors and also to all the participants I contacted
yesterday!

73 de Bob - KÃ?RC in MN