[3830] ARRL UHF K2DRH Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2drh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL UHF K2DRH Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 15:06:17 -0700
                    ARRL UHF Contest

Call: K2DRH
Operator(s): K2DRH
Station: K2DRH

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN41 IL
Operating Time (hrs):
Radios: SO2R

  222:   48    28
  432:   67    30
  903:   24    18
  1.2:   36    21
  2.3:   15    13
  3.4:   10
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  200   120  Total Score = 120,600

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

With a cold front and lots of rain on the way, conditions didnâ??t look really
good for this yearâ??s UHF contest.  They turned out to be fairly decent on
Saturday while the front was coming through.  I was amazed at successful runs
up to 3456 with stations out past 300 miles that donâ??t often get into the log
much above 1296.  Even so, there didnâ??t seem to be a great deal of casual
activity.  Then everything pretty much shut down again Saturday night around
10PM never to return.  Sunday was pretty dismal with very few QSOs above 1296.
In fact there were very few stations to work at all, and I heard only two
stations Iâ??d already worked before 8AM.  Several hours passed with only a
handful of rovers QSOs added to the log and practically no fixed stations.
Brightest spot of the day was working KM0T in EN13 up to 3456 and W7XU/R in
EN02.

On neither day did I hear a whole lot from the Minnesota Rovermainia crowd
despite tuning and calling on their published frequencies.   Many of them I
never heard at all.  Bruce W9FZ/R stands out as the most consistent, easily
found on his published frequency with a good ear for a weak one off the back.
I believe we worked in every grid he stopped.   However on Sunday conditions
were much tougher and our 2304 QSOs vanished, even though that band was working
the best ever has for me (what a difference all new coax makes).  And while we
worked several times up to 3456 on Saturday, I did not hear W0ZQ/R even once
all day Sunday despite practically haunting his contact frequency every hour.
At the end conditions were so bad I barely heard K9JK/R in EN50 and 60, and
could not work him on 1296.  Canâ??t complain about the results, but it sure
wasnâ??t my favorite UHF contest.