[3830] NAQP SSB N6WG Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB N6WG Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 13:32:05 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 9.75

  160:   11     2
   80:   20     4
   40:   37    15
   20:   55    23
   15:    6     2
   10:    3     1
-------------------
Total:  132    47  Total Score = 6,204

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC Team 3

Comments:

This was a pretty grueling contest.  Made very few east coast
QSOs, and mults were really hard to come by.  SSB contesting
is not a QRPer's happy place :-)

Except for three local stations, 10m was a dry hole, and 15m
was just a bit damp at the bottom.  Mighty slim pickings.  Had
to get in and fight it out with the big boys for Qs on 20m
during the day.  At this QTH, 20m just didn't have the reach
that I usually count on for some of the eastern mults, although
I did manage PEI, NJ, SC, VA, GA and FL along the right the coast.
There were a lot of usual mults I never heard at all.

A highlight this contest was working Rusty W6OAT and my fellow
Newark ham Joe WB6TFD on all bands, 10 through 160.  This was also
Joe's first 160m QSO ever.  I refer to these as my sweeps :-)

Compared to winter conditions (wet ground), my 160/80m top loaded
vertical didn't give the results I was expecting.  Really had to get
in and scratch for my 80 and 160 QSOs this time.

I tried a mod in the ssb unit of my K2, trying to get the VOX to
work more consistently.  It worked, but too well.  Was too sensitive
now, so will work on throttling it back before the next contest.  I
liked the VOX operation, but kept tripping it with any little noise.
I'd use it until I needed a break from the tripping, then went to
my PTT button.  After a while, I'd come back to VOX again, to keep
the variety up.

Really looking forward to my K3 next year.  Should be a great contest
radio from all the reports I've read from the Field Testers.

Thanks for the Qs and the patience working through the QSB and QRN this
time.  See you in the CW Sprint.
73, Bob N6WG